New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester 88
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Here's one I did recently. Don't know who originally made the stock- I only scratched it up. 20 lines per inch.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice , great lay out and execution tu2

Posts: 482 | Location: British Columbia Canada  | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent work! Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding! tu2

Posts: 18530 | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice!!!
Your work is top notch, sir.

Clean and straight 20 lpi checkering looks much finer than it measures, IMHO.

Zeke

Posts: 2270 | Registered: 27 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Evan K.:
Here's one I did recently. Don't know who originally made the stock- I only scratched it up. 20 lines per inch.

Sir, do you have a website? Beautiful work!

Posts: 188 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 14 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful! tu2

Posts: 18530 | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks much! No website yet.

If I were left to choose I would have cut 24lpi on this one, but I was asked to do 20 and here we are. I don't mind the extra grip.

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Evan,
You are coming along great. I wish you luck in your efforts to become a pro stockmaker.

Les Brooks , retired gunsmith

Posts: 91 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 December 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks much Les, I appreciate your help.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You’ve done a top job there Evan, nailing that full wrap on such a tight grip is impressive.

Posts: 630 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ya know...that's a nice job. Nothing flashy, just well excuted. 20 LPI is okay...it holds up wwell over time and as you say..gives a "good grip".

On a heay hitter, may be a bit rough on the hands when new.

Then again, never heard of anyone dropping a rifle because it did not have checkering!

Posts: 3454 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You will seldom see checkering that is as good as that, at any price. I am restocking a Win 88 with an exhibition grade piece of fiddle back maple. I doubt that my checkering will look anything this work. (I am just a hobbyist.)

Evan, May I ask what brand of checkering tool you used to "scratch it up"? Thanks, Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by metal:
You’ve done a top job there Evan, nailing that full wrap on such a tight grip is impressive.

Thanks much... I'm not chomping at the bit to do it again but I'm glad I know I'm capable.

quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
Ya know...that's a nice job. Nothing flashy, just well excuted. 20 LPI is okay...it holds up wwell over time and as you say..gives a "good grip".

On a heay hitter, may be a bit rough on the hands when new.

Then again, never heard of anyone dropping a rifle because it did not have checkering!

Thank you! A lot of people comment on the sharpness of my checkering when they feel it and honestly I just think we've largely forgotten what checkering is supposed to be. The general public is used to lasered on junk. Its a functional art where the first word is function.

Couple years ago I did 18 lpi on a Montana 1999 .375 H&H (had to walk them back from 16!). It was aggressive.

quote:
Originally posted by Brian Canada:
You will seldom see checkering that is as good as that, at any price. I am restocking a Win 88 with an exhibition grade piece of fiddle back maple. I double that my checkering will look anything this work. (I am just a hobbyist.)

Evan, May I ask what brand of checkering tool you used to "scratch it up"? Thanks, Brian

Thanks much! Ullman Precision Products. Used my Titan to lay it out and did the bulk of the work with a 3/16" 90 degree pull cutter. The 3/32" get into the fun spots.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Evan, It is perfect work. Perfectly even and no line past the fine single line border. Brian