New
Find
Notify
Tools

Checkering job on mod 70
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What is a good range of cost to checker a mod70 stock. From standard mod 70 pattern, to a “more intricate” job. Yeah, I know that’s a bit of subjective description. Just looking for a ballpark.

Thanks.

Posts: 6250 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
$400-$900.

Posts: 711 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
What is a good range of cost to checker a mod70 stock. From standard mod 70 pattern, to a “more intricate” job. Yeah, I know that’s a bit of subjective description. Just looking for a ballpark.

Thanks.

Out of curiosity, are you trying to ADD to mod 70 checkering or do the whole checkering job on a blank canvas? (finished stock)

Posts: 2269 | Registered: 27 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by squeezenhope:
$400-$900.

I'm slow as cold tar so at those figures, I'm at about $6.70 - $15 an hour for a full checkering job. haha

If I figure in all the time from design/layout to final checkering finish, I take about 60 hours. I have no idea how that compares to the REAL stock makers.

Zeke

one of us
posted Hide Post
Zeke, starting on a blank canvas. A finished stock.

Posts: 6250 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
Zeke, starting on a blank canvas. A finished stock.

That's good. I suspect you'll get more takers for a job like that. As far as pricing, I'd assume in the $1000+/- range but prices will be set by the individual actually doing the work.

Lots of good info in the custom gun section of folks who will do the work for you.

Best of luck, sir.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is also a checkering section Smiler

Posts: 1049 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eny:

I thought this was in the checkering section shocker

one of us
posted Hide Post
Purty sure it is!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Part of it, Wendell, depends on the patterns that you want on the stock. I would certainly call Connie Barry at Canyon Creek Custom Gunstocks in Hamilton, Montana and ask her directly. She or her husband, rifle builder Leroy Barry, will give you an accurate answer. You won't know until you decide on the patterns for the checkering. tu2 As an example, I have had Connie checker 5 new custom gunstocks of mine-all Model 70s, except two(and all different calibers-300WSM, 325 WSM, 375 H&H, 458 Lott and 470 NE Double rifle),and they have different patterns that Connie and I both agreed on. Call her my friend-you won't be disappointed. As they say on television-The phone call is free! Big Grin tu2

Posts: 18517 | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZekeShikar:
quote:
Originally posted by eny:

I thought this was in the checkering section shocker

My bad, thought I was still in the custom section Smiler

Posts: 1049 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post