New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sako L461
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi all, here's some 24LPI I did a while ago.
The wood made the job easy, it was a dream to checker. When I say easy well it took probably 40 hrs of mind numbing concentration, remember the old checkering rule - take the clock off the wall and replace it with the calendar!
I spend a lot of time on the layout. I use Dymo label tape to fully lay it out with very fine scribe lines then follow those lines exactly.
At the end you will be rewarded with diamonds that run parallel across the pattern.
Enjoy.

Posts: 630 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
A job to be proud of.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These pictures just piss me off.
Stephen

Posts: 538 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: 14 August 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done, that rounded treatment in front of the trigger guard is a nice touch too, great execution all the way around, thank you for posting your work.

Posts: 510 | Registered: 07 June 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice!!

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice--thanks for posting
Sydney

Posts: 120 | Registered: 22 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Classy little rifle...can't help but be impressed by the extra work on the bolt handle root

Posts: 3434 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
excellent work, both metal and wood, I have one very close to yours on my L-461 in 6x45 MM..Ive shot a number of deer, antelope and PG with it, weighs 5.4 lbs with a 2.5 Leupold Alaskan on it. I also have a L-46 in 222..Those early Sakos are outstanding...You do better than good work for sure. tu2

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41755 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amazing craftsmanship.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2627 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's beautiful!
I love the L461, having a few and always wanting more....

Zeke

Posts: 2269 | Registered: 27 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everything about that rifle is wonderful.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice !

Posts: 2 | Registered: 26 February 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So crisp, so clean!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stock work and checkering outstanding.

So is the rust blue work. What solution ? How many coats ? What grit of polish in preparation ?

Craftsman

Posts: 1530 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the comments.
Rust blue - Gun Goddess
Polish - 400 grit then blended with grey scotchbrite pad.
4 x 3 hour passes, 70% humidity and 70 deg.F.
Boiled in distilled water.
0000 steel wool for carding.
Cheers.

Posts: 630 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post