New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flat Top Checkering
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Am a big fan of flat top checkering, have tried many times to make a cutter, not a ton of information available on how to. The results when done well are outstanding.

Posts: 510 | Registered: 07 June 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've read that the guys and gals that do it, use normal spacers. some apparently use pieces of hacksaw blade with the set ground off, and then soldered to handles to cut to depth.

Normal checkering is tough enough, but I too love good flat top,

Posts: 420 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 May 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
First, learn to use checkering tools with air blowing away from you to keep dust away from your nose. I have checkered for yrs and now have problems with allergies from the wood. I would make a tool as a spacer to cut only one line. The first line is a single line tool and then space from right to left with the cutter guide side following in the first line. Me being right handed I can see what is going on by watching the cutting side on the left of the spacer. High speed hack saw blades ground down to narrow the cutting edge will work well. Use soft solder to hold cutter on the shaft and make the spacer as you wish for size. Older skip line cutter can be used.

I have lots of info on my DVD on checkering with an hour or more of video. I use mostly electric tools as it will save time in spacing regular checkering, but not for flat checkering.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can do it using a simple 60 degree single cutter and limiting the depth. You would struggle to get it deep enough to point the diamonds, on anything coarser than about 20 lpi anyway. You can do your spacing/layout with normal tools.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2926 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Russ can you post any pics of your work using the 60 degree cutter, would like to see an example?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://photos.google.com/shar...alo3LVNaUThVTm1UWjN3

This is some checkering that I did by using an 18 lpi standard spacer and then deepened with a 60 degree liner. I have to agree with Russ that this seemed to be the easiest way to get there without making a bunch of checkering tools. I guess you could argue that the grooves need to be square shaped or V shaped but to me it's a moot point.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 826 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With Duane's permission, excellent example of flat top checkering

One of Us
posted Hide Post
From the bench of James Tucker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of Butch Lambert's rifles with flat top checkering

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Martin Hagn Falling Block .270, pictures by John Bladen

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Les Brooks---I'd bet the answer to my question is going to be no. Do you irrigate your sinuses? ( This is in response to your problems from the dust). If your answer is no, perhaps you don't know how. If you want the how, let me know.

Posts: 3796 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will show my checkering setup. With the power wheel throwing dust back into your face it won't be long before you will get the sinus running. The dust is poisonous to humans and it can be a cause for cancer. I wear a mask and with the air system it keeps dust blowing away from your face which will allow you to continue checking without blowing the dust out of the grooves. A very light amount of air will keep out the dust problem. The use of hand tools can be used the same way, but I switched over to power tools 40 yrs ago and I believe you can cut straighter line with the power. I use a salt spray to flush out the nose and you people need to take a look so you can stay safe.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
James - you work is really excellent. Thanks for posting photos of work that meets the highest standards. Hope to wee you soon when I visit the shop to take delivery of the .404 that Reto is working on.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice to know that hacksaw blade works well, I’m going to have a crack.
What LPI looks best?

Posts: 630 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post