New
Find
Notify
Tools

Checkering Layout
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is the only way I've laid out checkering. I learned this from Bill Knechtel while he was teaching a checkering class at Pete Grisel's Sturgis shop back in '97. Bill could layout and checker a pattern with wraps and ribbons in 8 hours. The method of using rubber cement works great and I've never had it react with the finish. The knife lines through the paper make a very accurate defined line to follow. Most of my patterns are 3-1 so the wrap over the grip has the points line up in the right place. It also makes the top rear point on a wrapped forend pattern not so razor thin.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1838 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On the bottom of the grip, Dymo label tape really works well...thickl enough to easily guide your scribe

I use the 3/8" width

Posts: 3450 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the detailed pics... this is awesome, thanks!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just like plowing, if you are not 90 degrees to the headlands there is a tendency to turn in as you get close to the end and next thing you know you have a big hook at the end of your furrow. I like the way you knife in the lines to help keep you headed in the right direction. I've read somewhere of someone doing the same with a pounce wheel. I use a piece of scotch tape, running the tape along my current line and cutting a line with a knife or small scribe on the other side of the tape. Not that my work is even close to being in the same league as yours.

Keep up the great work.

John

Posts: 545 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post