Find
Notify
Tools

Getting Started
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

The 3/4" bolts will be replaced with swiveling heads

Some of the parts to be used for the swiveling heads, next parts to be machined then followed by the fore end cup and the butt end cup.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, nice work, in your last picture, what is the metal piece between the two brass caps, what will that do?

Posts: 510 | Registered: 07 June 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a big cast steel washer, I will use two to make the flanges the stock cups screw onto. Will post pics when the assemblies are machined.

Stuff from the junk boxes, I have enough materials on hand in the shop to machine all the parts required.

The washer is a timber framing washer, original use was for bolting together heavy timbers. Really old school!

Bronze bushings from my box of bushings.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cool stuff, props to old school. I was very satisfied when finished with my final cradle, that joy quickly evaporated when I started the checkering process, straight lines on curved surfaces='s lots of colorful metaphors. In the end I appreciate and respect the skills and patience of those who are good at checkering. Looking forward to seeing your progress, thanks.

Posts: 510 | Registered: 07 June 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a picture of rotating tool to hold the square steel bar. I use a 2x4 x 26 inches of oak similar to what you are making.

This tool allows the turn around quick to cut from another direction and also to move the pivot point for shorter forearms and butt stock.

Posts: 89 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 December 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lester Brooks:
Here is a picture of rotating tool to hold the square steel bar. I use a 2x4 x 26 inches of oak similar to what you are making.

This tool allows the turn around quick to cut from another direction and also to move the pivot point for shorter forearms and butt stock.

Thanks Les, I have your CD's. Very good stuff.
Anyone that wants to get into checkering should obtain the CD's that Les has put together.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The past 6 months have put me at a standstill, was diagnosed with prostate cancer. Kidneys were failing as the bladder could not pass urine due to the prostate swelling. Doc put me in the hospital for 5 days to clear things up. Have been wearing a catheter and bag since 26 April. Treatment going well except for the drugs that give me side effects (bad leg cramps and muscle pain). Radiation treatment today. But I am mobile and can do bench work, so here goes:

Wood end blocks, the felt goes inside the leather cups to prevent stock damage.

Good old leather work. A craft many thousands of years old.

Leather cups with the felt pads.

Buttt end.

Forearm end

Next is to build the swivel base.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a beautiful shop! I have my own shop, so I have a level to judge from. I love mine + it does everything I need it to do, but yours is head + shoulders above mine. Furthermore, I am not envious (well, kinda), but I am congratulatory on what you have. You turn out beautiful work. Best wishes. Randy.

Posts: 4103 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norman Conquest:
What a beautiful shop! I have my own shop, so I have a level to judge from. I love mine + it does everything I need it to do, but yours is head + shoulders above mine. Furthermore, I am not envious (well, kinda), but I am congratulatory on what you have. You turn out beautiful work. Best wishes. Randy.

Thanks Randy. This cradle is pretty much a duplicate of the one I had previously, when I sold my stock duplicator a few years ago I let the cradle go with it, along with the Dembart stash.

Finding myself in need again of checkering facilities, I have been buying Dembart tools the past year. Most are horribly overpriced, but if one prowls the gun forums and ebay a bargain can be found now and then. Last purchase was the 5 piece Dembart Master set including the veiner for $80. This set has not been used, included the original cardboard box and instructions.The veiner at today's price is around $45 if you can find one, most sources for new are out of stock. I have seen this Master set used at over $300.

I have about 30 Dembart tools in the collection now and a box full of over 50 cutters. Patience in searching and buying over the past two years has rewarded me well.

I wish I did not sell the duplicator but the shop was just too crowded with the big 3 spindle machine. Thinking about either building or buy another smaller unit as I have over a dozen riles to stock.

This is the big machine that I sold, it was very accurate and had lots of horsepower:

Adios good friend: Headed to Tucson