New
Find
Notify
Tools

Welcome To Our Latest Forum
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Greetings; I have been asked to join. Gladly.

Lindy 2, making checkering tools is an art form in itself. It is not easy and it is not for the faint of heart. The earliest tomes I know of for this is from Alvin Linden. While making scrapers from steel is similar it is not equal in skill. The old guys did it because there were none in
production making mode until Dem-Bart of the 30's.

Since, then there have been 4 other companies that have come and gone. Michael Ullman is a friend and peer. He bought Jon Doiron's business J&R Engineering several years ago. DemBart tools are gone, Gunline Tool are spotty and iffy in quantity and availability. I am currently using Ullman Precision electric checkering machine for my large lay out. I do the finals by hand using his Carbide single line tools.

Steve Earl is making tools that are reported to be of quality made stuff ($37 each).

W. E. Brownell Co has gone off center and the cutters are not always symmetrical by reports.

I learned to checker using MMC electric tools and Dem Bart hand tools. However, now that they are no longer making parts.....we are left with what is here and the cost involved to do the job.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 310 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not an expert checkerer. I have 30+ years of checkering and have been given guidance by some of the people I consider better at it than I. That being said...what I know is free to anyone who asks. I understand this forum has been started because of the increased interest in this part of stockmaking. It can be both frustrating and rewarding. There are no secrets in doing good work. Patience, persistence, desire, blood transfusions Smiler, and hair loss are often parts of this job.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 310 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post