New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coaching on checkering tools
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I think I made a similar post on this same site 20 years ago give or take. Life and no time got in the way and I lost interest in my stock making.

I plan to retire end of Jan. and have quite a few stock projects to get started on. Maybe someday be able to checker.

I would like to buy checkering tools and see what I can learn. I have take off stocks and beaters to practice on.

I bought a couple of books on checkering and read some but again that was 20 years ago give or take. I still have the books, need to dig them out again.

It appears what’s available today as far as buying starter kits are limited to what’s in stock compared to yrs back.

I’d like some coaching on what tools are needed to get started. I doubt I even know the proper names to buy individually, therefore a kit seems to make sense.

I may post want to buy in the classifieds, but need some coaching on what to look for.

Thanks Billy

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Call Michael Ullman of Ullman Precision, he manufactures checkering tools and can help you decide what you might need, this is a good place to start anyway.

Posts: 510 | Registered: 07 June 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I looked at his website. I plan to find him a call next week.

Thanks Billy

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Billy,

Did you get my dvd or USB drive? I have info for the beginner to use as to cradle, pivot checkering base, and videos of checkering.

The power checkering tools are the best to use but you may want to use other hand tools to space the lines. I switched over to carbide tools 35 yrs ago and they are still good. I use a diamond Eze Lap to sharpen the carbide. New carbide cutters are so sharp that will take some use to stop the hanging up. After the touch up of the diamond tool they work much better in controlling this problem.

Send me PM and I will try to help you.

Les Brooks, retired gunsmith

Posts: 90 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 December 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Les, I can’t recall if I seen your dvd or not.

We’ve spoke before but it’s been quite a few years. I may take you up on it and give you a call one of these days.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Billy send me a PM with your address and I will send a new DVD out to you. I am not able to work anymore so I am passing out the info to help others. Some of my methods are different,but worked for me

Posts: 90 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 December 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've always favored the "see thru" handles. Brownells no longer has 'um. But steveearlproducts.com/assorted%20things.htm makes them. Monte Kennedys' book has alots of full sized patterns that can be traced and then cut-out. I've used old x-ray film to make patterns from tracings. Works pretty good. How's retirement so far?

Posts: 675 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow. I'm glad I got me some checkering tools several years ago. I also plan on using them when I retire in a couple years, but I didn't realize that they had become such a rare commodity.

Posts: 10127 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim@IMReps:
Call Michael Ullman of Ullman Precision, he manufactures checkering tools and can help you decide what you might need, this is a good place to start anyway.

Michael was at DSC this year, in the Guild area. He helped me pick out a blank for my first project coming up.

What a treat for us laymen/beginners to have you pros so willing to help. God bless you all!

0351 USMC

Posts: 1531 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post