New
Find
Notify
Tools

Archery Newbie
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I went and got a new Bow Tech Stalker yesterday. The guy tried to sell me a Lady Hawk. I didn't want one of those because if i later decide to move up and sell my first bow there might not be as broad of a market. I mean, no guy is going to buy a lady hawk, but he might buy his son a little Stalker like i got. But i'm not going to sell it any time soon anyway.

Was sure i was going to be able to pull a heavy draw weight because i'm pretty strong from off hand shooting. I got one set up for 40 lbs, and i could draw it back fine with my fingers, but then when i used the release i couldn't get it back. So i had to go with a lower weight of only 37 lbs. I think this Stalker only goes up to 45 lbs, but he said that different limbs can be put on that would make it higher if necessary. It probably won't be.

So i went to the indoor range today and was shooting it and adjusting the sights. After getting used to it and adjusting it and all, was hitting consistently in the 5" circle. Then i shot a group of 5 at the same circle and i could loop my thumb and forefinger around those arrows. But a guy said not to shoot them that close or i'd mess up some of the arrows. So then i quit shooting at the same target. Got tired quick. Not bored tired, but arm tired.

Plinker

Posts: 1522 | Location: WV | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Amosgreg Yeah, wish i'd taken this up sooner, it is lotta fun. Af for draw weight changing the nock point and making a difference in the arrows, well, the bow shop will figure that out. I don't want to make adjustments to the string, when it only takes them a couple minutes.

I'm pleased that many of the skills i practiced in shooting air rifles, also apply to bow shooting..... clearing your mind, focusing on the sight and target, and gently touching the trigger (release) at the right moment. Also, follow through by keeping your eye on the target till the arrow connects. At this stage, i still don't have the strength to keep the bow steady, but i'm still able to connect the sight and target when they momentarily pass. This takes good reflex, and ability to control target panic which i learned from rifle shooting.

It is truly addictive, in a most pleasant way.

Plinker

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Plinker,

Congrads on your new bow!

Bowhunting is a very exciting hobby.

If I could give one piece of advice it would be to relax before taking a shot at an animal. If you don't breath deeply and take time to squeeze the shot, alot of the time you will miss or get a bad shot and long tracking job.

Buck Fever is a killer when up close bow hunting is involved. Just relax and take a deep breath, its alot like shooting a rifle.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I find doing push-ups helps. Just like any exercise, good form works better than just numbers and weight. If you can't do many regular push-ups then drop your knees and do cheaters while maintaining good upper body form.

Posts: 136 | Location: PA | Registered: 16 January 2003Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
One piece of advice that I always extend to newbies: USE A PEEP.

A little work on your posterior deltoids and perhaps a few bent rows will get you into a heavier bow in no time.

Good luck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

If I could give one piece of advice it would be to relax before taking a shot at an animal. If you don't breath deeply and take time to squeeze the shot, alot of the time you will miss or get a bad shot and long tracking job.

Yes, relaxing sure helps with shooting target. Good advice, and simple, but sometimes hard to follow. Probably be especially hard to relax at the moment of truth. I sometimes blow shots under stress, but, then again, sometimes it can give you an edge.

Plinker

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

One piece of advice that I always extend to newbies: USE A PEEP.

A little work on your posterior deltoids and perhaps a few bent rows will get you into a heavier bow in no time.

Good luck.

Thanks 9.3. Actually the bow was set up with a peep. But it kept twisting, so i had to take it back and get a tube put on.

I believe i already do those bent rows. You stand beside the weight bench resting one knee and one hand on it. Bend at the waist and lift dumbbell? I start with 12 reps at 17 1/2 lbs. Then 10 reps at 20 lbs, 8 reps at 22 1/2 lbs, and 6 reps at 25 lbs. Then back to 17 1/2 lbs but up reps to 24 to end.

Plinker