Find
Notify
Tools

Newbie Questions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi guys,
I am new to bowhunting and just bought a Parker bowhunter compound bow with all the accessories. After a few practice sessions, here are some questions I have come up with

1-Do you hold your breath like when you shoot a rifle, or do you continue to breath lightly when waiting at full draw?

2-Should you shoot the peep sight with both eyes open? I seem to shut my non-dominant eye.

3-An arrow has a miniscule crack behind the vanes, near the nock. Is it dangerous or still useful for practice?

4-Do you aim above the target, then lower the sights? This was mentioned by the guy who set me up, but seems to take longer than trying to aim at the target from the get go...

Thanks for any tips guys, just want to start off on the right foot!
Gabe

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
1- You better breath or you will pass out and fall out of your stand and break your neck. bewildered

2- Both eyes open. It's the way you should shoot a rifle or pistol also.

3- Do not shoot this arrow untill it is checked out by a pro. One easy thing to do is try and twist the arrows by gripping them at the point end and close to the fletchings. If they want to twist they are no good. With a small crack towards the nock this one arrow my still fill fine but it needs to be looked at by someone that knows what they are doing.

4- Most people do. It is because your new ultra light bow will fill like it weighs a ton if you start at the bottom of the target and try to raise the bow. Try it and you will see what I mean. It's not a noticeable on game but if you are shooting dots or even 3-D targets its a real booger.

The best thing I can tell you as a new archer you should limit practice to about twenty arrows and a good long break before you shoot again. Maybe an hour or so. Do this for a week or so. Then start to shoot more. Another thing to do is don't be afraid to practice at five and ten yards. Another good technique is to get just a few feet from your target and shoot arrows with your eyes closed. This will help with muscle memory.

Good luck and I hope you kill a big one.

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello the campfire:
Welcome to the wonderful world of bow hunting!

It will cost you almost as much as custom rifles and Alabama co-eds.

Every time I go to the bow and arrow store I come back with some new improved can't shoot without cracker jack prize.

Just kidding, except for the cost.

DO NOT SHOOT THE CRACKED ARROW!!! At least until you get it checked. Arrows are cheap compared to re-hab and medical cost.

Practice, practice practice.
Hold your bow at full draw for longer lenghts of time before you shoot. Do upper body strength building exercises. Walk a lot. Shoot form a tree stand several times before the season starts. Find someone to shoot with.
I shoot the swing. By that I shoot when the sight crosses the bullseye instead of trying to hold steady on the bull. Find a way to shoot a 3-D target of your chosen prey.
As corney as it sunds, visulise the arrow hitting where you want it to. "Become one with the arrow."
And remember, all shooting, bows, rifles, and shotguns are largly "instinkctive" meaning that you have to develop a feel for when to shoot and how your arrow is going to fly.

It is great fun. and keeps young men out of bawdy houses and off street corners.

Good luck

Judge Sharpe

Is it safe to let for a 58 year old man run around in the woods unsupervised with a high powered rifle?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, much appreciated.

I love learning about something from scratch, just as the 180 v 165 grain bullet arguments get a little old, it is fun being a complete and utter novice!

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't believe you guys are saying to have the arrow checked! THROW IT OUT. Any crack anywhere in a carbon (Or aluminum.) arrow is asking for trouble.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes! Throw the $6 item out NOW, I once saw a picture of a guy who had a caron arrow, split like a blunderbus, embedded in his hand! Very, very VERY nasty!! Why take the risk?

I seem to start the bow above the target, then lower it while I draw.

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Throw the arrow away. Buy your wife some flowers. Then take her to dinner and tell her from now on hunting season starts 1 month earlier. Then what ever money you aren't spending on guns or reloading you can spend on scents, tree stands, arrows etc etc. But love every minute of it.

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
Aim just like a rifle. After you are settled into your nocking point, use your breathing to fine tune your aim; breath in to raise the front sight, exhale to lower it. Hold your breath and take the shot. If it takes more that 15 seconds to get the shot off after the "hold", let down and restart the sequence. As stated before this can be practiced at 10 yards or so. You want to train your brain to do all this automatically. Once you have this down (a couple of weeks of steady practice)then you can start triggering the releace "on command" like in hunting, but try and get your brain trained to do all the aiming in "autopilot".

I point at the target during the draw. Should something unforseen happen, like the release comes apart or the sear wasn't engaged fully or whatever at least the arrow is headed toward the target and not over the fence at the neighbors house. Eeker

Trash the cracked arrow, in the grand view of things they are cheap. At a couple of hundered or more shots per arrow, they are almost free when all said and done.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote