THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    [B]Which NAP broadhead in Africa?[/B]

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

[B]Which NAP broadhead in Africa?[/B]
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Fulldraw Outdoor Media
posted
If you had your choice of any New Archery Products broadhead to use on an upcoming plains game safari in South Africa, which would you choose.

I have my pick of their products to use in some promotional video we are shooting and only have experience with their Spitfire, but am a little hesitant to use an expandable on plains game.

We'll be shooting 70lb draw weight Mathews Switchbacks.

At fulldraw,
Tyge Floyd
Fulldraw Outdoor Media
"From Alaska to Zimbabwe...Have Cameras, Will Travel"

Posts: 142 | Location: Texas | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
I would only advise two blade cut on impact style heads. I hunted plains game there in '01 and did very well with steelforce. The toughest animal I took was a Wildebeest....big wide thick ribs. 31" chest.

Of course it is your hunt.

If you do bring expandibles....expect to receive some "resistence" from the African PH's.

Best of luck whatever you decided to use.

If you can't smell his breath, your're not close enough!

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Bosvark
posted Hide Post
NAP Thunderheads 125gr worked for me very well, my friend also uses them in his setup. We both use Bowtech bows set at 80 ponds and the arrows is 550gr, this setup can account for +-50 on shot bow kills and that on plains game as large as eland bulls. They are razor sharp out of the box.
Another friend of us Spitfires expendables on all his kills and they work very well but his setup is a 90pound Bowtech with 650gr arrow which give him about 95ft/pound energy, with this he sometimes bends the blades bit they don’t break

Posts: 11 | Location: Pretoria South Africa | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
quote:
Spitfire, but am a little hesitant to use an expandable on plains game.

Fulldraw, stay away from expandable! I've seen to many not open! Remember one thing, "They are mechanical, mechanics fail!"

I've been a Thunderhead 125 user for many many years go with them!

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would first suggest a cut on impact two blade. But I didn't see anything like that on their website.

So I would go with the Razorcaps. I like the cut on contact heads. I really like the different weights you can get them in. You should be able to get one of the weights to fly.

Next would be Thunderheads.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote