THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    Re: How does height affect point of impact?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: How does height affect point of impact?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
That is why I included a 200 fps arrow. If you list your bow infomation: Model number, arrow, broadhead weight,Dl,poundage, and such I can calculate it out at any height and yardage.

My arrows are 465.8 grains. Even with my old Pearson at 210 and my 540 grain arrows, unless I was above 15 feet, the difference is not that great.

Posts: 361 | Location: Valdez, AK (aka Heaven) | Registered: 17 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JBM, you are entirely wrong! When shooting on the level all arrows have an arc. The faster bows of course have less. When shooting up or down the arc is reduced due to gravity pulling on either the front or the back of the arrow more then the whole side of it, flattening the trajectory. When shooting a heavy arrow from a slower bow, from a tree stand, you will shoot high and miss a deer. The faster the arrow, the less high it will shoot. I can see you have never hunted with a longbow or recurve! It also sounds like you are shooting a bow that defies physics and has no arc at all.
One more point; the farther out your target is, the less high the arrow will hit making it possible to use the actual pin for that distance. The worst distance is 0 to 20 yds. From 20 yds and out you can start to approach the pins for each distance but it is still a good idea to hold just a little low. A very fast bow with very little arc shooting level needs less correction.
Captjack is right, both of us talk from experience.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
reloader is correct too!

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
daveinthebush,

Have you ever shot a bow that only shot about 220 fps w/ a 700 grain arrow? Ever shot it from 25 feet in a tree?

Apparently not because you would know it will shoot about 6 inches or more high from the elevated position than from a level position.

Why do you think pendelum sights were invented?

It's a fairly simple concept.

When you talk about bows that shoot close to 300fps w/ light arrows, then its a whole nother' ball game. The fast light arrows are not effected the same by gravity and the angles of gravitational pull as are the slow heavy arrows.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I am 30 yards from the target and shooting 295 fps and am at:

10 feet high I have to shoot for 29.79 yards
15 feet high I have to shoot for 29.59 yards
20 feet high I have to shoot for 29.19 yards
50 feet high I have to shoot for 24.89 yards

Since I seldom go above 15 feet I am holding right on.

Ok since some probably shoots 200 fps.

10 feet high I have to shoot for 29.79 yards
15 feet high I have to shoot for 29.58 yards
20 feet high I have to shoot for 29.18 yards
50 feet high I have to shoot for 24.88 yards

Lets go up hill! 30 yards away 295 fps
10 feet below shooting up I aim at 29.79
15 feet below shooting up I aim at 29.58
20 feet below shooting up I aim at 29.18

I am holding on.

Posts: 361 | Location: Valdez, AK (aka Heaven) | Registered: 17 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
JBM,

A bow doesn't shoot the same from an elevated position.

We have thoroughly discussed this earlier in the posts.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Appology! When I wrote the post on page 2 I worded it incorrectly.
Shooting at 30 yards with my bow it should have read:

10 feet high "the arrow will hit" at 29.79 yards
15 feet high "the arrow will hit" at 29.59 yards
20 feet high "the arrow will hit" at 29.19 yards
50 feet high "the arrow will hit" at 24.89 yards

I wondered what was going on and it was my fault. Sorry guys! But boy we have a lot of information on the impact of height now!