THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    Where to get measured/suggestions for a bow in CA?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where to get measured/suggestions for a bow in CA?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted
I recently got the itch to give bowhunting a try. I live in Northern California in Berkeley and wanted to see if anyone knew of a good Bow shop where I can get measured and get good equipment around here. I am also in San Diego pretty often to see family so around there would work just as well. I have been told that getting measured is the way to go for your first bow because I really have no idea how a bow is supposed to feel/fit, is this accurate? The bow will be for Africa/African sized game like Moose, Elk, Deer, etc. Also my dad and I usually hunt together and he wants to give bowhunting a try as well. Could we feasibly share a bow? We are both about the same size as he is around 5'6".

I would like to use a compound bow. What sort of draw weight should I be looking for? What is the reasoning behind going heavier or lighter with draw weight? What about let off? If I do get a bow I want to get a high quality bow that I can keep for quite a while and that is going to be very reliable. Any suggestions?

I prefer not to hunt from blinds and would rather stalk. Does this change the type of bow I should get?

Honestly I am a baby in the woods as far as bowhunting goes so any info you guys could give would be great. Thanks in advance.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would for sure go to a big/good archery shop as those guys can allways set you up right the first time,and you will see many bows that you will like,some more than others,i would suggest starting out with a 50# pull and adjust/work up from there as most bows willl adjust from 50-60#.I would strive to shoot 55# as that is a good fast light weight pull that really makes the bow handle well & you will never struggle with it.Yes you and your dad can shoot the same bow if you have the same draw length.Hunting from a stand or on the ground shouldnt matter,except you will be moving/walking/sneeking more.The big name brands that sell hunting bows are a good place to start,Bear,hoyt,pse,etc.,They are all good.Buy a bowhunter magazine and do some google searchs,you will find a bow that just calls your name.Good luck and have fun,keep us posted and welcome to the club! thumb

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You have the Bow Rack in San Pablo or Wilderness Archery in Rocklin.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with the Bow Rack and Archery Only in Newark.

Posts: 53 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 28 June 2005Reply With Quote