New
Find
Notify
Tools

Crossbows...?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was at my local ProShop earlier this afternoon shooting my Mathews Wake. It's a very smooth shooter at 62lbs. With a 425gr hunting arrow and my 30" draw it chrono'ed at 327fps. Plenty fast, and no hand shock.

Anyway, a young guy comes in with a crossbow he wants to put on consignment. About $1000 with the scope.

Anybody ever hear of a PSE TAC-15? Narrow, like 18 inches axle to axle, and reflexed about6-8" back. He says 200 lb draw, and it shoots 26.25" bolts instead of the shorty 18"s.

It uses an AR-15 lower. Dangdest thing you ever saw. He tells me the chronograph reads out 450fps with a 4440gr hunting shaft and broadhead.

That part got my attention.

Anybody ever play with one of these?

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich, I have to played with that Xbow in particular. I am a bit suspect of the claimed speed, maybe so, but I would need to see it choreographed to believe. The thing I find with the cross bows is usually crappy triggers and VERY loud compared to compounds. Even the Excaliper bow that have no wheels can be loud. So far best of all worlds I have shot is the Bowtech solution LS. I put dampeners and string stops on mine and it is pretty quite

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of African Barefoot Safaris
posted Hide Post
Hey Uncle Richard,

Ive hunted with them!! They are great bows, I had a client that shot a gemsbuck litle quatering to, he hit the front nuckle and busted that leg, still had enough penetrasion to hit some vital as well... So yes I think they are great bows, even the Stryker made by Bowtech are a awesome crossbow

Reon van Tonder
Outfitter and PH
African Barefoot Safaris
africanbarefootsafaris@gmail.com

Posts: 55 | Location: South Africa/ Namibia | Registered: 04 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It looks like fun, but there is an issue (for me) about having to have an AR lower. How would that work in African Customs, or even here? Could it be considered a firearm?

The guy who left it took the crank, and did not provide a lower (which I would agree with) so it could be shot. Used, at $1000, I'd have to see the chrono numbers and hear it before even beginning negotiations on price.

thanks,

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich, a friend has one that he no longer shoots. I could get a price on the whole set-up if interested.

I have a top-end crossbow, but I just got a Whisker Biscuit to put on my Prime G5. I think I'll go back to compounds this year...more challenging.

Posts: 20065 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
I was at my local ProShop earlier this afternoon shooting my Mathews Wake. It's a very smooth shooter at 62lbs. With a 425gr hunting arrow and my 30" draw it chrono'ed at 327fps. Plenty fast, and no hand shock.

Anyway, a young guy comes in with a crossbow he wants to put on consignment. About $1000 with the scope.

Anybody ever hear of a PSE TAC-15? Narrow, like 18 inches axle to axle, and reflexed about6-8" back. He says 200 lb draw, and it shoots 26.25" bolts instead of the shorty 18"s.

It uses an AR-15 lower. Dangdest thing you ever saw. He tells me the chronograph reads out 450fps with a 4440gr hunting shaft and broadhead.

That part got my attention.

Anybody ever play with one of these?

Rich

I have hunted with one of these in botswana.

I think for african hunting they are too complicated.

If you wanted one for regular shooting it is fine.

Built on a AR lower.

Complicated decocking process.

I bought a excalibre crossbow for africa - much simpler to use.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, where did you find a crossbow with a banana clip?

Posts: 20065 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
they are $1000 shipped on flea Bay.

The "receiver" is included.. It looks like but is not an AR15 receiver. Looks like there was some model/design changes in 2013.

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Mike, where did you find a crossbow bits a banana clip?

It called working out and being fit Biebs dancing

I am neither right now but it will change soon.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got an entry level "Recruit" crossbow. some bolts and a styrofoam backstop and target along with a cord with pulleys for cocking it.

Regular bows don't interest me.

I shoot it once in a while in the basement. It's quiet and the wife can't hear it upstairs.

Get the 'power' or optic that your eye likes instead of what someone else says.

When we go to the doctor they ask us what lens we like!

Do that with your optics.