New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deer Rubs
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Have been reading about them, but never saw any till today. Found 12 to 15 of them scattered along a flat secluded area that had a lot of low brushy trees. The bushes averaged about the diameter of a dime and the bark would be shredded about a foot from the ground. Most looked fresh, but some looked to be healed over from last year. Didn't see anything that looked like a scrape. This wasn't near my deer stand, i'm trying to stay away from there.

Plinker

Posts: 1522 | Location: WV | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Plinker, too early for scrapes. Where in WV are you? I am in Bakerton close to Harpers ferry.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
Your're in the right area. Now you have to figure out where the buck is headingto and where it came from. Look for a stageing area at either end. Somewhere the buck might feel safe along his travels.

GoodLuck

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, i know where you are, i looked it up on the map. That's why i said i used to work at Grove, because at that time we lived in PA which is close to Harper's Ferry. Moved back near my hometown of Ripley when my hubby and i bought a business. About halfway between Parkersburg and Charleston off I77, mid Western, near Ohio. You're about 300 miles away from me, far enough for a different climate probably colder, and i'd bet your deer are a lot bigger.

Plinker

one of us
posted Hide Post
The deer might feel safe in the area of the rubs, the brush is not really thick, but secluded. I'm probably not going to hunt near the rubs, i already have my stand in a different place near some major trails, and it took a lot of time putting it up. Erected and secured a stick ladder, put up one of those umbrella things, put burlap camo material around the top rail and locked top and bottom sections of the stand with steel cables. Have feeder and a mineral block nearby. Have already seen several deer in the area, so on opening day, i'm just gonna put out some doe in estrus scent and hope some bucks come to it. I don't really care, will happily try for a doe. I'm new to this, find it fascinating, and it should be a new and enjoyable pursuit. Season doesn't open here till Oct 16. I really look forward to hearing how the rest of you are doing. So those of you that are hunting now, good luck, and don't be shy.... post some details and give us wannabees some vicarious thrills.

Plinker

one of us
posted Hide Post
Seeing sign is a great confidence builder and watching them make it really gets my blood pumping!!! I had small and large bucks in my area last year and from what I understand - rubs on large diameter trees are usually an indicator of a large(r) buck. I didn't see who made the rubs on the large diameter trees so I can't prove that statement is true though. Here's some pics of one of the smaller bucks that would frequent my stand last year....

Just millin' around -

Licking/rubbing branches above a scrape -

Making a rub -

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote