THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    Arrow penetration testing on cape buffalo - Video (dial up warning!)

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Arrow penetration testing on cape buffalo - Video (dial up warning!)
 Login/Join

Picture of Canuck
posted
Don_G,
I have made up a video clip from one of your arrow penetration tests (on my last cape buff). Thought I'd post it up here for all to enjoy, but won't steal any more of your thunder by giving any description. NOTE: Large file warning for dial up users...9.7MB file...takes a while to load on high speed!

Arrow penetration testing video clip

Merry Christmas,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Crap! I'm famous! What a movie star I'd make. Tom Selleck, make room! Smiler

Thanks for posting this - I'm still having trouble with my DVD drive, but I already know how much time video editing eats up!

The first two arrows would have been through the heart. The second one into the lungs. Those were straight broadside shots - the very best angle on a Cape Buffalo.

Alan thought the best shot angle would be the quartering-away lung shot, but changed his mind after subsequent testing when he saw that even those heavy arrows tended to be funneled forward between the ribs - at an angle so sharp that they were not mortal.

Canuck, I thought we had some video of arrow testing from LU5, but I cannot find it. Did I sleep through one of the DVDs?

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Canuck, I thought we had some video of arrow testing from LU5, but I cannot find it. Did I sleep through one of the DVDs?

Hey Don,
That's the only video from LU5, but we do have some from my first buff in LA1. I will make a clip of it too, sometime this week. Smiler I did this one first because I was also putting together a couple clips of bullet penetration for Dave's website and the guys on the big bore forum....its all on the same tape. It took about 5 hours to put the 3 clips together yesterday...
Merry Christmas bud!
Chris

quote:
Alan thought the best shot angle would be the quartering-away lung shot,

So did I! Until I saw the pics from the LA1 testing on your buff that is! Those overlapping ribs are definitely a problem for quartering shots.

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
I just watched all the LA1 videos last week. I guess I really did sleep through the arrow testing! Smiler

Either that or my CRS is acting up again.

Thanks again,

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i am having a heavyer bow made and i might look at selling my current one....

its a 94# hoyt hypertec left hand compound bow comes with about 2 dozen arrows. they are 620 grains.

im looking at getting a 115# bowtech bow shooting 1000 grain arrows. i mainly do it just for the fun of it........as i hunt all my dg with a rifle.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WoW...Thanks for sharing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That damned video is all over the net now....you'd amazed how it travels!!!

Good work and worthwhile info.

the chef

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calgarychef1:
That damned video is all over the net now....you'd amazed how it travels!!!

Good work and worthwhile info.

the chef

It got a few comments on www.huntingfootage.com when I first hosted it there...other than that, I haven't heard anything more about it and it hasn't made it back to me yet. Interesting. Smiler Glad people are enjoying it.

Cheers,
Canuck

One of Us
Picture of the_captain
posted Hide Post
That's pretty cool. Thanks for putting it together!

==============================
"I'd love to be the one to disappoint you when I don't fall down" --Fred Durst

Posts: 759 | Location: St Cloud, MN | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice! I guess I need to "buff up" and git me one of them heavy poundage bows!

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote