New
Find
Notify
Tools

Success stories
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Who has let an arrow fly and connected this fall?
Let's hear some stories.

I have to claim a clean miss. Looking forward to some late season hunting now.

375er

Posts: 212 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 24 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shot my first archery deer this year. Doe came out at 22 yards and when she turned broadside I let an arrow fly from my Kodabow Bravo Zulu crossbow. Deer Crossing arrow with Swhacker 100 grain broadhead cut a nasty hole thru and thru. She made it about thirty five yards before going down. I have to say that this has put a bit of excitement back into hunting. I think this is going to be fun.

Posts: 326 | Location: Mabank, TX | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few close calls but haven't stuck anything yet, hopefully soon!

Posts: 98 | Location: N.MI to NE,IN | Registered: 02 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shot a 10 pt in Ks on Nov 5. Not a monster by any means but my biggest ever.
I was in a ground blind.
Shot was 18 yards.
At the shot he ran maybe 15 yards and stopped.
I was grabbing another arrow and he collapsed.
Field dressing found that the arrow centered his heart.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2628 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot a moose in Wyoming! Yahoo!
Took me a fair number of years to draw the tag but the wait was worth it.
Called him to within 15 yards, one arrow, he only made it 58 yards after the shot, perfect bull!
He'll easily make P&Y Book and should make B&C awards too. I'm waiting until around Dec 1st to get him officially measured.
Now... if I just knew how to post pics!
Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot this buck at 15 yards with my bow last Saturday. 45 minutes in the stand, and a 7-pt down with enough time to have my wife and son come out to the woods for pictures.

One of Us
Picture of Highlander7
posted Hide Post
Congrats Dan, Zeke, Df and Joe.

My wife took a 6 point on Pa. opening day. We returned from S. Africa on Friday morning and 30 hours later see tagged out.

No luck for me so far. Passed up some nice 3 year old deer but, nothing huge. We're down to the last few days of archery season here and will take a good 3 year old now if the opportunity arises.

MSG, USA (Ret.) Armor
NRA Life Memeber

Posts: 596 | Location: Chester County, PA. | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
After 4 days of hunting, I had a nice 8 pointer decided to pass 30 yards in front of me. He was in and out of the thicket that runs parallel to my stand. I thought I had picked a clear line of sight and let my arrow fly. Unfortunately, I was rewarded my the distinct sound of an arrow connecting with something hard. I killed the young sapling in front of the buck.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
been hunting a lot, and last friday finally connected on a nice doe. 7 yard shot, very slightly quartering to me, 85# field dressed.

can't seem to find nice bucks this year, hopefully soon.

Posts: 779 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I called in a spike elk this year and got him at 40 yards quartering away. He went about 75 yards after the hit. It was the first arrow I have released at an animal.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3504 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First arrow released at an animal, and a bull elk down. That's impressive, congratulations!

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2628 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by df06:
First arrow released at an animal, and a bull elk down. That's impressive, congratulations!

Thanks! I never imagined I could be so excited about taking a spike!

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3504 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sforbsy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZekeShikar:
Called him to within 15 yards, one arrow, he only made it 58 yards after the shot, perfect bull!
He'll easily make P&Y Book and should make B&C awards too. I'm waiting until around Dec 1st to get him officially measured.
Zeke

Hey Bud, if you have a facebook account you could then cut and paste the URL when you right click the pics properties option. Bull Moose with a bow is right up there at the pinnacle.
What weight arrow combination done the job?

Posts: 193 | Location: The Northern Territory, Australia | Registered: 14 September 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bo-n-aro
posted Hide Post
Couple weeks ago in eastern Kansas, I climbed into my tree stand just as the sky was lightening. Short time later it started snowing!! By 10:00 we had 4 or 5 inches!
About 8:30 I had 6 does come up behind me and walk to the south. Few minutes later up comes a nice ten point sniffing around. As he started to follow them away from me I gave him a couple of grunts and a snort wheeze. He turned and started my way.
He was going to be inside 20 yards as I drew....DAMN!!! The hood I flipped up to keep the snow off my neck blocked my view to the point I could not shoot!
As I let down he stopped and looked up at me. He was looking right into the blowing snow as I slid the hood off and re-drew my bow. That's when he took a step back and his shoulder sent behind a tree!!! NO Shot!
I was facing the tree as I leaned forward to get around the tree. Just as I started to squeeze I hopped my boots didn't slide out from under me from the snow covered stand!
As I shot he turned to run..... and I shot just over him! Swing and a MISS! OUCH!

Posts: 594 | Location: Plano Texas | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sforbsy:
quote:
Originally posted by ZekeShikar:
Zeke

Hey Bud, if you have a facebook account you could then cut and paste the URL when you right click the pics properties option. Bull Moose with a bow is right up there at the pinnacle.
What weight arrow combination done the job?

I'm not a Facebooker but I guess even at my age I should be.
I'll figure out how to post pics on here in the next day or two.
Just in: Bull officially scored 146 2/8" gross and 141 6/8" net, Placing him well into the P&Y book and qualifying for B&C awards too. (for you numbers guys)
I'm plenty happy with the bull and even more happy about the grand adventure!
Thanks for the interest,
Zeke