THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    want a bigger cutting diameter: need suggestions

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

want a bigger cutting diameter: need suggestions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
i haven't posted on the bowhunting site since being a member of this forum so this topic may have already been covered. i shoot a 100 grain thunderhead with a easton acc arrow. i pull 70 lbs. on a split limb reflex extreme bow. i have never failed to pass thru on a shot with this bow. recently i shot a doe to fill some of my tags and balance the herd. the shot placement was good but a tad back of having a double lung shot at 18 yards. the deer didn't bleed outwardly at all. the hole was not that great and the blood trail was hard to follow. the accuracy is great and ive always shot this set up great. is their a similar alternative that would give me a better hole. the deer was dead at 120 yards. thanks!

Posts: 214 | Location: north carolina | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

You can always tell a liver hit, the deer will jump high and hump up. It will only run a short way and will walk a straight line until it drops.

Now that's what I call "Knowing your quarry!! Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on how that bow works too! Let me guess, you've been shooting/bowhunting for a couple of years haven't ya....

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the 125 gr Thunderhead is a little wider. When you shoot them with your present setup they will hit a little to the right. Turn the bow down a pound at a time to walk it back into the bullseye. The small loss in weight will not even change your sight settings and the extra weight of the arrow will still give you the same penetration.
It sounds like the spot you hit is the cause for lack of blood. Maybe got the liver and it bled internally. You can always tell a liver hit, the deer will jump high and hump up. It will only run a short way and will walk a straight line until it drops.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote