THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    Crosswind and Broadhead Accuracy

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Crosswind and Broadhead Accuracy
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This morning i searched for the arrow i had shot at the deer yesterday evening. Looked in a straight path from tree stand to beyond the two trees where the deer had came out. Couldn't find the arrow. So my husband told me go up in the stand and shoot another at the same spot. I did and the d@#m arrow went into the tree 6 feet to the left of where i was aiming. Vertically, it was on course. So i shot another being REAL careful. It went into the other tree, maybe 6 inches closer, but still over 5 foot from where i was aiming. The good news is we found the original arrow. It was to the left of the trees instead of to the right where i'd aimed.

Came home and put in my dull target broadhead and took some 40 yard shots. Was only shooting 6" to the left this time, but the wind was coming at more of an angle.

Question is: Would a 5 to 6 mph crosswind affect the arrow that much? Accuweather said the wind was 5 to 6 mph, but would it perhaps be stronger on the hill top? And what should i do? I'll never hit one if the arrow acts screwey in the wind and goes 6 feet off course. Thanks for any help, i don't know what to make of this.

Plinker

Posts: 1522 | Location: WV | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Penny, if you look at the arrow from the side you can just imagine why something moving that slow would be so badly affected by the wind. derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, and it's a pretty light arrow, too. But a closer look at Accuraweather said 5 to 7 mph with winds gusting at 17 mph. It must have been a gust.

How is it going with you, Derf? Are you bowhunting or just doing target? Bet those Canadian deer are big.

Plinker

one of us
posted Hide Post
Plinker, I shoot in some very strong crosswinds up to 50 yds and never see much wind deflection. I am never off the bag from wind. The thing I see is the tail of the arrow will blow to the left (wind always from the right here) but the point will stay pretty much on course and hit close to the spot.
I see three things that could be happening here, 1- your bow is out of tune badly. 2- you are not keeping your shoulder in line and are flinging your bow arm to the left. And 3- a combination of 1 and 2. Of course, you could also be pulling your release hand off of your face at the shot to peek at where the arrow went.
There is no way the wind would blow you off 6 feet!

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Plinker, E-mail me at jameswbrm@aol.com and I will send you my tuning information to get perfect broadhead flight.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That would be great. E-mail on the way.... thanks.

Plinker

one of us
posted Hide Post
One thing you might consider is that you accidently hit some part of your clothing in the excitement. I have made the same mistake in practice and it is the only thing that will throw me off anywhere near what you are saying but even then not 6'.

Wind as light as that should not make that much of a difference. 6' off is a lot. 6", maybe at 40 yards.

Posts: 361 | Location: Valdez, AK (aka Heaven) | Registered: 17 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Penny, I have not hunted yet with my bow and might not. Haven't decided. I am in a no shooting area here and the deer do get large but they are either Coastal Blacktail or Mulies and don't get all that big. I do mostly targets at this time and will progress into 3D in the early spring. And do I ever know about clipping your clothing. I recently purchased an Aviation style jacket and am having trouble with the sleeves.
BFR, Plinkers bow is set fairly light as she has a bit of trouble with higher weights. Slower arrow means more wind drift! As I recall, Penny, you were doing just fine when there was no wind involved. derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BRFShooter, when i woke up, first thing i did was look for your tuning instructions. It was there, but my Norton AntiVirus removed access. It does that sometimes and i've never figured how to get to them.

You probably took lot of time to send that and i really appreciate it. I'm posting a picture of a target i shot this morning. Maybe you can tell if it is tuned right by looking at that??? The arrows go in pretty straight. That is with no wind this morning.

Thanks again. There is one more thing i can do to try to see your instructions and i still have to try that.

Plinker