Find
Notify
Tools

Recurve draw length.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted
Can you increase the draw length of a recurve bow by changing the string length? I know it would also change the draw weight and brace height, but I need to increase my draw length about an inch. (I purchased a recurve bow on ebay and it was stated to be my draw length, but with the string that came with it, the draw length is about an inch short. (The string that was sent was 5" shorter than the AMO length of 61"). Everything I've read says the actual string length should be 3 to 4 inches shorter than the AMO length. Is my string too short?

How much would I have to increase the string length to gain 1" draw length. Is there a rule of thumb or a table somewhere that shows draw length vs string length change?

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What's your draw length? If it's around 28 give or take 1 1/2 inches-and if the string is the correct lenght go ahead and shoot it. AMO length is the length of the bow as you probably know. I eyeballed my recurve and the string is about 5 inches short unstrung (measured tip to tip), so yours might be in the ballpark.

You can't just increase your sting lenght and shoot a longer draw. The bow shoots best at a certain brace height-the distance from the string to the deepest part of the grip.

You can adjust brace height about an 1 1/2 or so. A shorter brace height gives you more string travel and supposedly a faster arrow. You sacrifice bow stability to do it though and it increases string slap on your wrist. Eeker

Hope this helps, since I started making my own strings I just eyeball it and twist the string until the bow shoots well.

the chef

posted Hide Post
I second what Calgarychef1 said.
This from 3rivers archery site
"Note: Order by string length not bow length. Measure the bowstring you have and round up to the nearest full inch. These strings will stretch a bit as they're broken in. If you don't know the length of your bow string a good rule of thumb is that longbows take a string 3" shorter than they're marked and a recurve takes a 4" shorter bowstring. So, if your bow is a recurve and is marked AMO 60", a 56" string should fit."
Bows will only draw a certain distance before they begin to " stack " Thats where you start trying to bend the riser fadeouts because the limb bend is maxxed. Stacking increases your draweight significantly to the point where you hit the wall and can't draw it back any further.
Bow designs vary greatly which affects the draw length range for each bow. Custom bows are usually closer to the max for the draw length ordered to capatilize on efficiency. Bows are typically marked with a bow weight @ a 28" draw. You should gain 3-5#'s of weight for each inch over 28" draw.
Hopefully you already have your bow figured out.

Sean