THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    Revolutionary sight please!

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Revolutionary sight please!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
ConfusedIf you are not over 50 don’t bother to read this posting, because you will not understand.
My far-sight is still reasonable but my reading glasses are getting stronger lately. I am up to 2.5 for use on the pc and use a 1.0 for looking in the distance, like driving at night. (I refuse to buy vary-focals or bi-focals but that is a case between the optician and me).
Because they are so close to my eyes, the pins on my bow are out of focus, unless I make the peep sight hole very small so that it acts as a focus producer. The consequences are then that I can only see a small part of the target, and in bad light I cannot use my bow.
A year ago I posted an idea on this forum but nobody thought it could be done, so I’ll try again because I saw it being done.
A handgun with long eye relief telescope has only a cross hair or red dot plus a target to line up – 2 things. A compound bow has a peep sight plus a pin plus a target to line up – 3 things. Why can I not fit a scope to my bow???
Today I came across a guy here on the Dark Continent that made up such a system himself, using a standard red dot pistol scope (with no magnification) fitted to a standard single-pin bow sight. It works 100%.
If this exists as a standard product, where can I buy one off the shelf?
If not yet, will the bow industry please wake up if they are still interested in buyers over 50. (It boggles my mind that Americans landed on the moon in 1969 but in 2006 they cannot make me the sight that all aging people will buy!!)
If you do not have the answer, don’t reply.
Lochi.
Grrrrrr. Mad

Hunters pay for conservation. Without funds from hunting the African game cannot survive.
www.affordableafricanhunting.com

Posts: 240 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try a Specialty Hunter Super Peep; buy whatever magnification insert you need to make the pins sharp. Without it the pins are just a blur unless I wear my glasses. Peep+insert about 50$ U.S.
C.G.B.

one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
Damn it Lochi, I thaught I was the only guy with that problem jumping

I will also be interested.

beerfor the BIG 50's

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fulldraw Outdoor Media
posted Hide Post
Lots of places over here have these types of scopes. Just do a search on any Yahoo! or Google for "bow scope".

HHA Optimizer-Lite Plus with BSA Red Dot Scope

From BSA,® with a universal bow mount and an adjustable illuminated Red Dot sight

HHA Optimizer-Lite Plus with BSA Red Dot Scope - Fixed Yardage Bracket

At fulldraw,
Tyge Floyd
Fulldraw Outdoor Media
"From Alaska to Zimbabwe...Have Cameras, Will Travel"

Posts: 142 | Location: Texas | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanx for that,
I'll check it out and will be sure to report back.
Lochi.

Hunters pay for conservation. Without funds from hunting the African game cannot survive.
www.affordableafricanhunting.com

Posts: 240 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hughiam
posted Hide Post
Lochi,

There are lots of them on the market, be sure to check the quality of the components. No plastic, quality glass, small moa dot, large tube. Ive sent you a pm.

Hugh

Pro Staff for:
In Natures Image Taxidermy

Posts: 448 | Location: Palmer, AK | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I assume with the red dot system that you lose the ability to have different sight pins for different distances. To me that could be a big drawback.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The niftiest sight I've used on a bow is the Eotech Holosight. It is a heads-up display with a 1 minute dot and a larger circle. You can get a rangefinder on the side as well.

I use it with a peep.

When everything lines up and is centered, you're good to release. Hold over is determined by the range as suggested by the range finder.

I first used Holosights on race pistols after time with Tasco PDP-3s, and the Serendipity red dot (with a 4 minute dot).

The holosight also works well with rifles. It is the only sight my youngest son can use effectively as he is right handed and left master eyed. He shoots a really mean M4 with the Holosight 552! (Which is good, as it is part of his professional requirement ;>Wink

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote