THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    How should i go about shooting a buffalo with a bow.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How should i go about shooting a buffalo with a bow.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of James Walker
posted
My Dad has just given me a permit to shoot a buff, and i would love to be able to shoot it with my Mathews Switchback set at 70 pounds rather then with a rifle. Is my bow capable to take a buff, dose it have enough foot pounds and if so what broadheads should i use. If not then i think it best to shoot it with a rifle.thanks for the help James

Posts: 40 | Location: South Africa. | Registered: 15 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bo-n-aro
posted Hide Post
Depends on how many men you have with BIG guns standing by. Smiler
I would not recommend using 70 pounds. Min 80 and the closer to 90 the better. You need a min 900 grain arrow tipped with a very durable and sharp two bladed broadhead.
Most importantly, you need to be able to place your shot exactly where it should be.
Even if you choose to use a rifle, have your bow along with multiple arrow/head combinations and do some very valuable field testing on the carcass.
Good luck.

Posts: 594 | Location: Plano Texas | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you only have a 70 pound bow, dont shoot at a buffalo with it, irrespective of the arrow/broadhead setup. You simply cannot get enough KE nor TPI.

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I'm interested in the answers you'll get as well. Not that I would ever hunt buffalo, but I do know that todays 70lb bows are much faster than yesterdays 90+lb bows....

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know a guy who watched a 43 lb recurve go completely through a moose. I'm interested in hearing all the details about the buffalo hunt. I assume this is cape buffalo? This is going to stir up the momentum vs kinetic energy debate again.

the chef

One of Us
posted Hide Post
what kind of buffalo now I noteced you are from South Africa so I would be guessing a Cape Buffalo. So yes I would agree NO, with that but the Amirican Bison yes you could take one with a 70lbs bow.

Using a arrow like a Easton FMJ or a PSE Black Mamba and some thing like a new Snuffer SS or a Montek by G5

Shotting a Mathews Black Max, Bow Tech Black Night 2, API Black Mamba or the new PSE X-Force set to 70-75lbs with the right arrow maybe could get it done on a Cape but I would deffinetly have a gun too.......the Pse X-Force with a 450gr arrow at 65lbs is getting 84.2 FTLBS of KE so with a bow like that at 75-80lbs and say a 750-800gr arrow with a tip like a Silver flame 210gr you could put a stomping down.............

one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
James,

Given you a permit ? Is that for Zim or other neighbouring country ?

I would check what the current situation with the laws are as far as I know and this is from the Phasa website the minimum for buff is 80 lbs.

Minimum recommendations for COMPOUND BOWS:
Draw Weight Arrow Weight
Small game 40 lb 400 grain
Medium game 70 lb 550 grain
Buffalo, Elephant, 80 lb 700 grain
Rhino, Hippo

This comes from their website. Then also you will have to be accomponied by a qualified PH that has a permit to bowhunt the big stuff.

I think Canuck has a very good video where they are testing arrow penetration on a dead buff. Have a look at it as well as reading the post. Shooting a Cape buff with a bow is by no way a small feat. Especially if you walk and stalk.

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Walker
posted Hide Post
We got a private farm in the Timbavati and a permit to shoot one. We also got the right Ph but as you say it’s a serious feat to shoot a buff with a bow. That’s why I want as many opinions as possible

Posts: 40 | Location: South Africa. | Registered: 15 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You need to get Don_G to advise you. Where are you Don?

Posts: 1067 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While I have not done it, I have spoken with a number of folks who have. They suggest a two blade BH, pushing 1000 grains arrow weight, and at least 80 lbs draw weight. It's all about KE and penetration capabilities.