THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    Turkey with longbow this weekend

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Turkey with longbow this weekend
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of McClura
posted
Got this turkey in KS with my Longriver Elk longbow, cedar arrow and Magnus 135grn head.
23lbs, 9" beard and 1" spurs.
Mike

You don't quit playing because you get old, you get old when you quit playing.

Posts: 311 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 17 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never hunted turkey....they sound pretty spooky though. Congratulations!! Thanks for the pics.

the chef

one of us
posted Hide Post
excellent,

congrats. thumb

beautiful bow and equipt too.

Waht was the shot distance and how did you get drawn without being made?

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of McClura
posted Hide Post
I build ground blinds out of limbs and sticks in some places and use pop up blinds in others. I make my blinds about 5' tall and have holes that I can shoot through. I set on a folding chair and sometimes read. Have to wait until they go into strut or their head is behind a limb. I shot this turkey at 6 steps, arrow passed through about 6" and when the turkey flopped it broke the arrow. It went about 10 yds and that was it.
Had about 20 jakes from 1" to 4" beards around me within 5-10 yds all weekend but there are plenty of longbeards so I just wait.

I going this Thursday and Friday on my hunting lease west of McAlester, OK for turkeys with my longbow and Sat. with blackpowder shotgun.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's one to be pround of fer sure!!

Nice job!! What's the weight on your bow?

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
That's Nice! Real Nice.

Man, i have a hard enough time bagging them w/ my scatter gun around here. Can't imagine going after them w/ a Bow. I guess if the population was high it would be a different story. When we hunted up around Mclean, TX in the Pan Handle, there were plenty of turkeys. Not too far from OK.

Good Luck this weekend. We are going to hit em' over close to DFW for a couple of days.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of McClura
posted Hide Post
My bow is 55lb @ 28". It is one of the only bows I have that I did not make. I wanted to experiment with a 60" longbow for blind hunting. I found this one and have had it three weeks. I made a dozen cedar arrows in 60# spine with 135grn Magnus broadheads.
The turkeys are not cooperating yet. This is the only tom I had get close enough for a shot in three days of hunting. I had over 25-30 hens, 10 jakes within 10yds. They are not in the "Coming to the call" mood yet. Maybe in a couple of weeks and it was uncommon to be as hot as it was. It was in the 90's each day with lots of wind.
I'm taking my 60lb Osage selfbow and river cane arrows with flint points out thursday and friday on my lease near McAlester, OK to try for a tom there.

Mike