New
Find
Notify
Tools

N.A.L.S.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well for the traditionalists here I thought I'd tell ya a little about my weekend. Went to the North American Longbow Safari and it was a hoot!! This was my first time at a shoot like this and I didn't know what to expect. I spent a small fortune getting all set up with wooden arrows and broadheads. It took some fun tinkering to get my arrows to fly...much harder than the carbons. Anyhow we did 2 3-d courses and they were located in the badlands west of Inisail. There some great shots to do-uphill, downhill, through the bush close far etc. It was wonderful practice for hunting.

The fun shooting was a running bear, arial disks and the 200 yard elk shot. next time I do a long shot competition I'll bring white arrows, I just couldn't see them once they fell below the treeline. I did have one of the best groups and if I could have seen the arrows it would have been possible to hit that elk. It was a blast though.

On the last day there were door prizes. A custom Howard hill Tembo longbow with water buffalo horn tips and elephant skin handle and elephant emblem. What a gorgeous bow!!

My daughter won a kids longbow with custom leather tooled arm guard, custom plains style quiver, and a custom fleece lined leather bow sock. This was all supplied by the members of the Alberta Traditional Bowhunters Association. A very worthwhile organization.

It was a pleasure to meet so many shooters from the States and everyone was generous with their time. The next N.A.L.S. is in south Dakota next year. It switches back and forth between the States and Canada. Incidntally it's one of the few organizations that was auhorized by Fred Bear and they do give away a few (very few) awards in Fred's name.

the chef