Find
Notify
Tools

Airbow in Africa?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of H T
posted
Been bowhunting there twice. Going back next May to the Limpopo Province in South Africa. My wife is going along and is physically unable to shoot a bow. Pretty keen with a rifle, however, so we're considering either a crossbow of air bow for her.

Anyone been there with an airbow? Restrictions, issued with taking an air tank? Thoughts?

Posts: 724 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
The gun’s air cylinder will have to be empty and if you plan on taking a larger tank to fill the rifle, it must be empty too. Plus you will obviously need an air compressor source that pumps at least 3000psi, preferably 4500psi, plus adapters to connect a compressor with a DIN output line to a tank with a scuba or scba input. Good luck arranging all that- it won’t be easy or cheap.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13104 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
Thanks and good observations. Likely will pass on this opportunity and go with a good crossbow for her instead.

And I will take my Mathews Z7 Extreme one more time !! Smiler

Posts: 724 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I´ve hunted SA twice with a crossbow, had a bit of a hassle last year at Heathrow -was met by two police with MP5´s at the gate :O Somebody forgot to mark my baggage so they thought I was carrying a gun.

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I might suggest an Excaliber Xbow. Recurves are easy to change out strings compared to compound, shoot almost as fast, don't go out of tune, and the model with a crank is a no-brainer to cock. Buy an extra string and go hunt. Never hurts to have that "safety" margin if something happens. Best of luck.

Gary

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote