THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    safety harnesses - Ameristep

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

safety harnesses - Ameristep
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I bought an Ameristep harness because it was the only one the store carried. Tried it out tonight in the back yard. Seems complex. I will try it this weekend.
Anyone use one of these?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've looked at them, they are the same as my linesmens harness. The only difference is the ameristep is lighter material and the ends aren't color coded CRYBABY You put them on over your left shoulder that's important. Then one buckle goes arount the left leg. One comes between yer crotch and to the chest buckle. The other one comes between yer crotch again and to the right leg. Make sure you adjust it to fit over the clothes you intend to wear in the field. Do this at home not at the bottom of your tree, it takes awhile. Sometimes I wear mine under all my heavy clothes and run the safety strap up the back of my neck and let it hang out-works really well. Don't forget to take a piece of rope or even better nylon webbing to tie to the tree as your anchor point. I Tie one loop higher than my head and one a foot lower. When I'm getting off the stand I tie off to the lower one, until I've got my feet safely on the tree branches. Getting on and off the platform is the dangerous part and it's good to be anchored for that part.

the chef

one of us
posted Hide Post
Chef,
I was thinking the same thing. Put it on over my pants and sweater, then put my coveralls over the harness. Then leave the strap out the back of my neck. I don't like the tree strap that came with it. It has a big, loud buckle. Its hard to thread the strap through the buckle. I was thinking of a strap or rope with a loop on each end like my present waist-band system has. I just need some way to be able to release myself from the tree loop just in case I ever do fall. I wouldn't want to have to hang from the tree till someone finds me.
I use a climber. Presently, I loop a strap around the tree then the other end attaches to a waist strap. I slide the tree loop up the tree ahead of me as I climb. I would like to use the same system, but be hooked into the harness instead of the waist-strap. I think the strap I use now came with my API climber.