New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mathews Switchback
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone that can give me feed back good or bad on the Switchback?
I am in the market for a new bow.
What is the price in the USA?

Wimpie

Posts: 166 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 14 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Cat Doctor
posted Hide Post
I have a shot a switchback pretty extensivly for a few months now and you can't go wrong. I trade bows about every year, I always say that I'm not going to but mathews makes such major improvements every year that I can't help but trade.

The Switchback sells for about 800 american dollars. but well worth it.

Posts: 165 | Location: missouri | Registered: 18 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can get the Switchback for considerably less, like $600-something USD, depending on the shop. It's a fantastic bow like you'd expect from Mathews. I'm debating buying one right now.

Good luck getting one in SA if you don't have a dealer.

Posts: 6545 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
I just got one yesterday. I was shooting A Mathews Legacy and decided to get the Mathews Switchback. It is a very nice and accurate bow. I had it set up just like my Legacy. I shot over 100 arrows yesterday and it is just a great bow. I paid $760.00 US just for the bow. I walked out with it set up completely at $1160.00. I put a Mathews quiver, TH7P Doinker, Whisker Biscuit, kisser button, large peep sight, a string loop and vital gear 3 pin sight. My buddy want my Legacy, it is set up just like my Switchback. To tell you the truth, the legacy is very close to the Switchback, but the Switchback is nicer. One awesome bow. Big Grin jump

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bo-n-aro
posted Hide Post
I am shooting a Mathews LX presently. I shot a Rival Pro before that, a Conquest before that and a Feather Light before that.
I shot a Switchback a couple of weeks ago and it took the shop owner, two customers and a hammer to get the damn thing out of my hand!!!Smiler
I have the Rival and Conquest for sale and will order a Switchback NOT soon enough!
It is by far the most unbelievable shooting machine I have shot in over thirdy years of archery!
Just my humble opinion.

Posts: 594 | Location: Plano Texas | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for reply guys

I am sold, will have to go hunting with my switchback next weekend. Lucky we have some agents for Mathews in RSA. Watch out Kudu/Impala im on my way.

Wimpie
A bad day in the bush is better than a good day at the office!

Posts: 166 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 14 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
Let us know how you like it. I don't think you will be disapointed. Have a great hunt. beer

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member Reeders Misfits
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redhawk1:
Let us know how you like it. I don't think you will be disapointed. Have a great hunt. beer

Redhawk1

I had a good hunt but did not shoot a Kudu, they came in to late in the afternoon and I did not want to risk a shot.
I am going to fetch my Mathews now, going hunting again this weekend to try it out.
I will keep you posted.

Wimpie

one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
Please do keep us posted. Big Grin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member Reeders Misfits
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good day

I took me two youngest kids Shani(7) and Arno(6) with me on a springbuck hunt this weekend past. My other companion was my newly aquired Switchback. We got to the hide next to the Vaal river and there was a lot off fog. The springbuck came into view in about half an hour, wich was very exciting for my children. The next minute a whole herd of Eland and gemsbuck came to the feed and the children had a hard time to keep quite but they did. After about ten minutes with the Eland and Gemsbuck 10 yards from the hide the springbuck started coming in. There was an old ram with the herd that I wanted to take as it was obvious that he was past his prime, the kids was telling me quitely to rather shoot an Eland as it would make more biltong(jerky) at wich I almost started laughing as the tention was getting very high. The old ram came in and I drew my bow waiting for the Eland to move from behind the ram. The old ram moved forward a couple of steps and I put my 20 yard pin on the point of the black stripe on his side and released. I saw the arrow disappaer in the ram and re-appaer on the other side. The ram ran about 200 yards shaking his head and lied down never to move again. We called the farmer and while waiting for him the other animals came back to the hide. My children was over the moon and they enjoyed the hunt very much. This Mathews are going to give me alot of pleasure on future hunts.

A Happy Hunter
Wimpie

This comming weekend I am going after warthog

one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
Already drew blood with your Switchback. Big Grin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member Reeders Misfits
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got another sprinbok this weekend past, a young ram. Hunted in the Kalahari.

Wimpie
Winter was good but got better since I got Switchback

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you got the right tool for the job.

If I didn't need to get an 80# bow with a lot of energy for heavy arrows for buff, then I would have probably wound up with the Switchback.

They're surely quiet and forgiving!

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot mine for the time last week.No noise at all.All I heard was the arrow hitting the paper.I have the bow set at 65lbs and my arrows weight about 380 brains.

Buffalo,NY

one of us
posted Hide Post
Two different Bow shops in Oklahoma City have the Switchbacks for $619.
I like mine really well so far. My only criticism is that the shorter draw length modules (27") don't pull near as smooth as the longer 29-30" ones. I'm stubby armed and have the shorter draw length but the bow shoots really well anyway. If you shoot 29-30" you're really gonna like them...............DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don_G:
Sounds like you got the right tool for the job.

If I didn't need to get an 80# bow with a lot of energy for heavy arrows for buff, then I would have probably wound up with the Switchback.

They're surely quiet and forgiving!

How is the prep going for your buff hunt?

Wimpie
Got a 51 7/8" kudu with RSA client yesterday

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow dj $619 is a really good price! Think you could pick one up for me? I believe that Matthews does not allow mailorder sales. I would need the 29" draw. If you can't, please let me have the contact information for the two shops as I have some distant relatives in Ok. City. Thanks,
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wimpie:
How is the prep going for your buff hunt?

Wimpie
Got a 51 7/8" kudu with RSA client yesterday

I can draw the bow 3 dozen times in a session if I "skyjack" it. If I keep the arrow pointed at the target while I draw I can only get about a dozen shots before I'm shaking like a dog shitting peach seeds. Practice makes perfect.

The 80# Allegiance is quiet and accurate.

I'm using home-made heavy arrows (GT5575 inside a GT22Pro) since the Carbon Tech Safari shafts are at least a month out on back order.

I have not found adapters that fit well and are tough enough for the 5 degree taper Grizzlies I want to use. The standard aluminum inserts and aluminum adapters just will NOT stand the gaff from this bow into anything like a solid target. The inserts get stretched into obvious ovals, even though the carbon shafts are still good.

Don_G

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
Don,

I know you are an engineer. So am I.

Perhaps you could spec out your own steel inserts and have them made by a local machine shop. They will weigh a little more (about 45grains vs 15grs) and definately be more expensive. But it sounds like the extra weight and strength would be welcome.

I would suggest them starting with HR1144 steel. Screw some field points into them and harden to about 50 to 55RC.

Do you have the Binary Equalizer Cam on your Bowtech. I have been eyeing that cam with great interest.

Wimpie,

I am elated you are having so much fun with you Matthews. Hope you post some picts soon.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
BigGuy,

Yes it is the Equalizer cam. These are not as pleasant to draw as a Mathews, but they REALLY put out a lot of energy for a given draw weight. I get 98 ftlbs from my 81# bow. (I don't choose arrows by KE, but I like to know it, because it lets me predict the bow's performance with other arrow weights.)

I'm considering getting custom glue-in-glue-on 5 degree broadhead adapters made from 7075-T6 aluminum. This is as strong as many steels and much lighter. If I remember correctly I can get an adapter that has the full-length 5 degree taper (1.5") and goes into the shaft 3 full inches and it's still weighs less than 100 grains. If I back drill the shaft section I can get the weight down quite a bit from that.

Don_G

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
before I'm shaking like a dog shitting peach seeds.

That's a new one to me Don!

roflmao

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Y'all ain't from aroun' heah, are ya boy? bewildered

Don_G

Picture of dzpoorjr
posted Hide Post
Are you guys with the new Switchback shooting the 80% let-off or the 65-thanks!

KILL THEM ALL AND LET GOD SORT THEM OUT!

Posts: 62 | Location: SAFFORD, AZ. | Registered: 22 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
80%

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member Reeders Misfits
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

one of us
Picture of Big-Ed
posted Hide Post
Just ordered a Switchback LD for my 31" draw. Will be here next week.

Had to order it from the (only) bow shop here in town and prolly paid too much. boohoo

My problem now is that this is the first new piece of equipment I have bought in 10 years. (if it ain't broke, don't fix it)

None of my old stuff will work with this new bow so I may have to take out a loan or two for arrows, rest, sight, etc...

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Posts: 269 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 07 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matthews are okay, I like Hoyt, but I've killed more animals with my PSE.

Posts: 175 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Big-Ed
posted Hide Post
Well, so far I have killed everything with a PSE as well. Been shooting the same bow for something like 12 years.

Even shot 3d with it for fun for a couple of those years.

I chose the Mathews because Gene Curry (a Mathews Pro) is a friend of mine. That way I have built-in assistance if something should go wrong. Big Grin

Oh.. that and the Mathews Switchback is simply a SEXY bow. There is no other way to explain it. My wife has already said that she gets one too!

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Posts: 269 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 07 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 300magman
posted Hide Post
Great bow, there are faster bows, but not faster smoother bows.

Posts: 323 | Location: Jackson, Miss | Registered: 12 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am off again this weekend for baboon monkey and bushpig. I did get an eland cow as well late last season .

Wimpie