New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mathews or Bowtech??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I looked at and played with the "Guardian" and the "Drenalin". Both bows seem to fit me well. I have a 26 1/2" draw length. I need a bow that will be forgiving and allow the greatest speed.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
quote:
I need a bow that will be forgiving and allow the greatest speed.

I havn't purchased a new bow in going on 8 years, those two items used to be mutually exclusive. It'll be interesting to read the answers you get.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Forgiveness" is generally equated with brace height and both of the bows you looked at have fairly generouse brace height. With your relatively short draw length take a look at Bowtechs Equalizer also.

Posts: 498 | Location: San Antonio , Texas USA | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Matthews is far better than Bowtech IMO.

I've handled the Bowetechs and the Mathews and Bowtech is a darn good bow but, they just aren't in the same ball park as Mathews.

I purchased a new Patriot 1.5 years back and it was an ok bow. It was quite fast at 290-300 depending on the arrow(30" draw length). I never was quite satisfied with it so I sold it and bought a Mathews LX. All I can say is I've been missing out prior to owning a Mathews and they will be my bow of choice from now on. That LX shoots 305 fps, it's pretty quite, has very low shock(can't even tell), and is more accurate than I am for sure. It's by far the best bow I've owned out of the last 4 new bows I've owned in the past 4 years.

I had heard numerous hunters tell me that once you get a Mathews you'll never look back. All I can say is they were right, Mathews truely knows bows!

I think you are comparing two good bows but, Mathews is the bow to own hands down.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I shoot a Mathews. Bowtech is a great company. Go shoot a few at an archery shop and forget the name on the bow and shoot the one that you LIKE and feels good when you shoot it.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been Shooting a Bow tech for about 5-6 years I shoot a Tech29 28" draw and 60 lbs
with 100 gr broadhead it flys 286 fps.
If I max the poundage It will fly well over 300fps. Bows and guns ,cars ect are all the same it's what you like ,what fits and how deep your pochets are. The only thing I don't lke about Bows is they don't hold their Value.

Posts: 1456 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a matter of what feels good to you. Close your eyes (with a big target) and shoot so you can really "feel" the bow. See which one you like best and go with it! I currently shoot a Bowtech Tribute with Smooth mods and love it. Heading to Namibia with it in June shooting Easton Full Metal Jacket 300 shafts and Magnus Stinger Broadheads 150grain at 282 FPS. Super accurate and smooth.

Posts: 102 | Location: Queen Creek, Arizona | Registered: 16 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take Doc's advice and shoot both. I am now a forever Bowtech shooter by way of Hoyt. When I bought my Bowtech last year I was fortunate to have Mathews and Bowtech to shoot side by side at the same dealership. To me the Bowtech out performed the Mathews. Just difference of opinion and shooting style. For pure accuracy and forgiveness Hoyt has been a leader in that department for many years. If I change I'll probably go back to Hoyt. Just seems to work out that way.

Bob

Texas Verminator
Verminator Predator Calls Pro Staff

Posts: 261 | Location: Big Spring, Texas | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was a diehard Mathews guy for years and still own 3 of them but when the time is to hunt I use my Bowtech Allegiance. My last 2 Mathews bows (Legacy & Switchback) have been a huge letdown for me and have been very inconsistent shooters. I know the problem - which is common - Mathews doesn't want to hear it and will do nothing about it - hence I'm shooting Bowtech and lovin it.

Posts: 114 | Location: valley Forge, PA | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
tped,

Please share with us what you think the problem is.

Simdow

Posts: 189 | Location: Asheville NC | Registered: 24 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dont know how meny lbs you want to shoot but with your shorter draw i would look at the Bow Tech Equalizer it is made for short draw shooters and gets 275-280 at 26" draw and 60lbs the Drenalin and Gardean is made to get faster speed at 28-30" draw si at 26.5 you are not going to get much speed maybe 250-260fps at 70lbs and your draw still plenty to kill any whitail but if you are looking for speed I would take a good look at the the Equalizer it is very for giving bow I shoot its big Brother the Alegence at 75lbs and 29.5" draw with the FastMods and shoot a 420gr arrow at 295fps I have personaly seen a a Equalizer do 280fps with a 350gr arrow at 55lbs arrow 26" draw and this guy has taken 2 elk with that bow and 4 deer in the last year I work for a Bow tech dealer and they are awsome bows but you have to make the decison try the bows out and pick the one that fits in your hand and fits best for you, every one makes a good bow now you just have to decide wich one you like. I would give the Equalizer a shot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The basic problem that they have been having is a bad idler wheel lean. When the idler is off you cannot get good arrow flight. I have the fix but it takes considerable time and has not held due to string stretch. I may be wrong but when paying the prices you do for these bows today they should be as right as possible from the factory. The other basic problem is that as the Mathews has progressed the forgiveness in their bows has deteriorated. The grip has become very sensitive which also causes erratic arrow flight. Combination of the two and I basically have had a Legacy and Switchback that I personally cannot shoot without erratic arrow flight. This never used to be the problem with Mathews. I am not a novice shooter and know what I am doing with a bow but these last 2 Mathews have been nightmares. I am not alone with this problem. Idler wheel lien is common anymore and my caution is to check the bow you are buying thoroughly and shoot it some before plunking your money down on a Mathews. If you get a good one they are sweet as can be, but if you get a bad one - forget it and Mathews could care less and neither will your dealer once he has your money. Now I don't think as a company Bowtech is any better but I have seen many shooters swithching to Bowtech because their bows are darn good and consistent shot to shot in all temp ranges.

Posts: 114 | Location: valley Forge, PA | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
Having been a sharp stick slinger for over 35 years think I have tried almost everything out there -- including the Mathews which simply was not my choice -- currently shooting a ROSS and loving it -- hands down the best bow I have ever had my hands on -- also-- great factory support if there is a problem.

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 926 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
tped,

I too own a Legacy and a Switchback. The Legacy has a little lean in the wheel when static but it disappears at full draw. The lean in my Switchback is so slight that you can't actually see it but you can measure it. It also disappears at full draw.

I called Mathews and they talked very open & freely about it. They said that because they are lined up at full draw it was a non-issue. Both of mine are very good shooters, the legacy being the better. I can see how the roller guard system could put a torque on the bow and we all know that is not the best case scenario, but its hard to argue with success.

As to the sensitive grip, I don’t like their grips either. I remove them and grip on the riser with a little bit of athletic tape.

I have been shooting a Vectrix this spring and I must say it has peaked my interest.

Simdow

Posts: 189 | Location: Asheville NC | Registered: 24 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So, how easy id it to find a Pro shop that sells both Bowtech and Mathews? Mine just has the Bowtech.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
Go with Bow-Tech!! You won;t regret it. A great company to deal with. I have an 06 Allegiance once I get out of the sandbox probably buy either an 07 or by then a 08 Bow-tech!

Handmade paracord rifle slings: paracordcraftsbypatricia@gmail.com

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I have been following this thread with interest. The Bowtech Equalizer is very interesting. Short draw length!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
The equalizer is probably hands down the best short draw bow on the market. I bought my wife an 07 and she loves it. I was talking a Bow-tech rep at a shoot last year an dhe said if Bowtech could put 29 in draw modules on the equalizer it would be a 350 f.p.s bow. But as we all know they can't and the brace height for a long draw length would be horrible too. As far as I'm concerned matthews has nothing to compete with the Equalizer!

Handmade paracord rifle slings: paracordcraftsbypatricia@gmail.com

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Peter

I would never try to decide between 2 bows without shooting them both side-by-side with my hunting set up, or target setup if that is what you are into. Up here all the decent pro shops carry both. I think bows are like rifles and they can respond differently to different set ups (just my opinion). Bowtechs are good shooters, but with my set up, the ones I have shot have been little louder than the either of my Mathews. Try to find somewhere that you can do your homework; shoot them both, see which you like.

Simdow

One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMHO Once with Mathews,Forever with Mathews,don't trust my words,go shoot both of them side by side to challenge my statement.

One of Us
Picture of Hughiam
posted Hide Post
Ill throw my 2 cents in as I shot both bows side by side last weekend at the Wisconsin Deer Classic in Madison.

Now mind you I am a Staff Shooter for Oneida bows and never owned anything but an Oneida. I don't own or shoot either Bowtech or Mathews.

But, after shooting both the Bowtech and Mathews line side by side, Mathews lost by a long shot.

The draw of the Bowtech was silky smooth compared to the Matt. The Matt bows torqued over to the left on the draw when using an open hand. I think this has something to do with the idler wheel being offset and causing lateral stress on the bow.

The Bowtech had much less hand shock on the release and was significantly quieter on the shot.

Honestly, and your hearing this from a die hard Oneida shooter, if I ever switch companies, based on side by side testing, Bowtech would get my money.

Hugh

Pro Staff for:
In Natures Image Taxidermy

Posts: 448 | Location: Palmer, AK | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
check out a ross cardiac before you decide

Posts: 94 | Location: Orwell,New York | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hughiam:
The Matt bows torqued over to the left on the draw when using an open hand. I think this has something to do with the idler wheel being offset and causing lateral stress on the bow.

In "idler wheel" are you referring to the cable guide roller Matthews has instead of the bar/slide assembly. If so, you are absolutely not the first person I've heard this torque comment from. Sometimes this really messes with cam lean.

Bowtech had it's cam leaning issue with it's initial run of Binary Cam bows. Supposedly that's been addressed.

The Diamond Bows are revamped Bowtechs old one cam models. They are lower cost and still serious bows. You can order one by mail.

Matthews has no starter product line that I'm aware of. They need something that folks can get in a box store retailer. Don't get me wrong I think they make great stuff but they are too top heavy in their product line to stay healthy.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a long time rifle hunter, 3rd year archer.
I shot both bows side by side at the archery shop and picked the Tribute, I just liked the way it felt, purely subjective. Mine is a 60# 27.5" draw. Of late I have been playing with their speed cam and have a bunch of chrono. data if anyone is interested.
C.G.B.

One of Us
Picture of Hughiam
posted Hide Post
Big Guy,

Yes your exactly right, its the roller guard not the idler wheel. I need to remember that the idler wheel is the top "cam" on a wheel bow.

We don't have them on Oneida.

But you could definately feel the pull that was not apparent on the bowtech.

Hugh

Pro Staff for:
In Natures Image Taxidermy

Posts: 448 | Location: Palmer, AK | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mathews has been on top for a long runwhich may be ending. While they were up Bowtech came on and PSE tanked. Please do yourself a favor and check out that new top of line PSE. My memory is not that great-it is the brand new one. People who have been disgusted with the way PSE went down are pumped about this bow as are those "in the know" pro shop owners. Shoot it and decide.

Posts: 1337 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, real old thread. I shot both demo bows side by side, and my impression was the mathews recoiled less. As far as the feel when drawing, both were different, but I disliked neither. I asked for a switchback XT for Xmas after that. My one issue is the handle is too slim, and hand position affects bow stability A LOT @ full draw both clockwise and counterclockwise. I might try that rubber wrap that SVL makes, or maybe a fatter aftermarket grip.

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Walker
posted Hide Post
Catch us if you can-Mathews forever!!!

Posts: 40 | Location: South Africa. | Registered: 15 April 2007Reply With Quote