Find
Notify
Tools

case for air travel
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of garretttodd
posted
I am going on a bear hunt in High Level,Alberta this May. I have never taken my bow on an airplane.

what kind of case?
Will my $25.99 plastic case keep my $1400 bow safe?(kidding)
What is the best way to transport my arrows?
How many arrows and broad heads would you bring?

Those who pound their swords into plowshares will be plowing for those of us who don't

Posts: 64 | Location: Fort worth, Texas | Registered: 10 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunting For Adventure
posted Hide Post
Well, this should be good for some healthy debate.

For my trips to Africa, i stopped using the bowcase. Yep, that's right. Now i put my bow in a roller duffel (along with my clothes) with a drop bottom. I put foam all around my bow and it completely cushions the bow and negates the need to mess with a big case. In fact, i've got a double SKB if you are interested...ha.

As for arrows, i use the hard arrow cases by MTM. They fit in the bag as well and work like a champ. Have a good hunt!

Tom Addleman
tom@dirtnapgear.com

Posts: 1161 | Location: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never traveled w/a bow but my SKB worked great on the trip to Namibia and back. 6 clicks up, 2 down and back dead on! That little elev. adjust could easily be blamed on 90 degree + 90% humidity here and cool and dry there.

The other two w/me also used SKB w/similiar results.

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
I have a new in the box SKB that I was going to post in the classifieds if you are interested.

gvwoodman@msn.com

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 924 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took my bow & a few dozen arows to South Africa in a "cheap" plastic case ( the Plano Protecter with the two posts in the center to add rigidity) - - I put the arrows in the holders on the case lid, put a lock on the case & few wraps of duct tape around it to assure it wouldn't pop open, and didn't have a problem. Sights were dead on when I unpacked everything. I did put my release, broadheads, & other accessories in my other baggage to prevent losose items in the case from damaging anything.

Posts: 171 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 13 December 2008Reply With Quote