THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    Which mechanical broadhead flies the truest and kills the best?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which mechanical broadhead flies the truest and kills the best?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Which mechanical broadhead flies the truest with the field-tipped arrows and kills the best?

One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
I like Grimm Reapers. As far as what kills the best,they all will if you hit them in the right spot.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
do that search on archerytalk and you'll get 100 different answers.

grim reapers seem pretty popular, as do rages, ive used spitfires with good success.

there is a lot of suburban archery hunting around here, and some guys i know do it year round, and they kill tons of deer each year. grim reapers are a popular choice for them as well.

are you stuck on mechanicals? there are some fixed blades that fly very, very well. like slick tricks, ramcats, muzzy trocars

they will all kill the same when placed properly. and remember your bow/arrow setup must generally be heavier for mechanicals since they take some energy to open, or you will lose penetration. watch hunting dvds of 10 years ago and watch them today, and notice the extreme lack of pass throughs today, with faster shooting bows with lighter arrows and big cut mechanicals today, versus the old muzzys years ago and in a lot of cases still big aluminum arrows.

Posts: 779 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
I think mechanical BHs are the biggest, travesty, farse, sham (not sure what to call it exactly) ever pulled on the archery community. Sponsors paying TV talking heads to promote their products. Nowadays on TV it's completely the norm to see an animal running away with 75% of the arrow hanging out of it and these are usually deer, which are very easy to penetrate. Maybe 7-10 years ago, everyone wanted a complete pass-through. Crap even back in the day of slow bows, under 200fps, everyone knew 2 holes were better than one. Now, the arrows are dangling out of the animals and passthroughs are rare. Only the smart hunters still shoot a fixed bh. And if you can't get fixed blades to fly, then spend some time tuning your bow, because that's a lame excuse. Arrow flight is what got the mechanical craze started but now it's transformed into how big a cutting diameter someone can make. Over the course of the race, fixed will rarely let you down. Mechanicals will for sure, just a matter of time. You just have to put the arrow in the kill zone.

Posts: 894 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
i'm with prewar on this topic, but since you asked, i tried to give the best answer i could. deadringer also makes some mechanicals that are 7/8" closed cutting diameter, so even if (or when) the blades fail to open, its still a big enough cutting surface to get the job done.

Posts: 779 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Meat Seeker or G5 T3. These two are rear blade deploying and reduce chances of a failure. They will not pre-open like a Rage, either. Grim Reapers and Spitfires can kick off of the animal on an off angle shot as the blades deploy.

Mechanicals are deer or antelope only heads.

If you go after elk, use only a solid fixed blade head. Mechanicals are too fragile and are penetration limiting IMO.

Overall, I prefer and use Slick Trick heads these days. They are solid and give me one less thing to worry about.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Myself Rage 3 blade...this is my wife's and I 8th season using them. Most deer go 40-80 yards with a double lung shot. With over 30 kills only one didn't have a pass threw, braking entrance shoulder and braking but not exiting far shoulder.

Last night I shot a 150 lb. doe at 30 yards broadside. She jumped the string hitting her high and just behind the diaphragm. She ran tail down for 100 yards stopped wagged her tail wobbled and continued to walk out of site in the timber. I waited a half hour before checking for blood, upon checking blood trail there was a good amount on both sides of the tracks. Where she ran every bound there was spray of blood on both sides. reaching the spot where she stopped there was puddles on both sides, 70 yards ahead I could see her down.

I have been bowhunting for 45 years and have had several similar hits, that have turn in to some very long and difficult tracking jobs, some need to be continued the next day. Where I hunt recovery must be made ASAP because of wolves and coyotes. I've lost 2 deer to wolves over the the past several years. One we waited 45 minutes to start tracking, we walked up on the wolves they had half of the hind quarters eaten.

Myself I'll stick with Rage 3 blades, that is until there are no wolves and coyotes in the woods...... archer

Posts: 423 | Location: Lk. St.Clair | Registered: 11 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 460 wby shooter
posted Hide Post
I've had excellent results with 100grn Grimm Reapers, they fly great and have killed everything I've shot with them.

Posts: 817 | Location: jimtown ND | Registered: 21 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mechanicals on thin skinned whitetails maybe ok, there have been improvements on them, especially quartering shots and with deflection but if you head to Africa or go moose or Elk hunting, better to use a cut on impact broadhead. I know a good number of African Ph's that not only discourage but prohibit their use on the larger plains games. One of my hunting partners shot a Zebra with a rage, we have it on video, in Namibia in August, Mathews Creed, 70 lb etc,, you could see the blades spark on camera as it hit,, 20 yard shot near dusk, broadside,, you could also see the zebra run off with 80% of the arrow flopping on the Outside of the zebra,, that was 1400 dollars that ran off with no blood trail,, he changed to a Muzzy 3 blade fixed and blew through the next one he saw,,, we told him,, he didn't listen because they had been devastating on his smaller whitetails.....

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've played with a LOT of mechanicals and there are some decent ones for sure. BUT, if Murphy gets involved, anything mechanical can get buggered. I settled on Magnus Stinger 4 blades and haven't looked back. I shoot a Hoyt Carbon Element at 61# and 28.5" DL with an arrow that's right at 400 gr. That combo blows thru deer and hogs like butter. That all being said, 2 of my favorite mechanicals were Ulmer Edge and Shwackers, both 100 gr.

Gary

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
Here's video of a KillZone in action. It is the only non pass through I've ever had with a mechanical. I have only ever used NAP KillZones or Rages. Count the second from the time the arrow hits the deer till i say "he just went down".
They are as foolproof as any fixed head I've ever used. As for people worried about them opening prematurely, it simply doesn't matter on a tuned bow. Open one up and shoot it. Its kind of like push feed rifles cycling upside down. People talk crap and don't know. but every Remington i own feeds like butter upside down or any other way. Even a 300 wsm!

All of these bucks plus several doe were killed with KillZones or Rage over the last 5 Seasons. Don't knock em till you try em!

https://www.facebook.com/shawn...304456115368/?type=3

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot a lot of different mechanicals on deer never had one fail to open up or shoot thru a deer unless I muffed up and hit the shoulder blade.

Posts: 19308 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been using 100gr Spitfires for probably 15 years. I've only had one that wasn't a complete pass-through out of probably 25-30 Whitetails, and that was with a shot straight down between the shoulder blades. Even then, it was only holding on by the fletching. I don't see any reason to change.

Posts: 20074 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rage 2 blade for me...shot at least 20 or more deer. Exotics in Texas from blackbuck up to scimitar horned oryx a few years ago. Plains game in RSA from springbok up to eland. Massive blood trails if I even needed a blood trail at all which 95% of the time I didn't..Ill never look back. I shot Muzzy 3 blade 100G before that since I started bowhunting. Im glad I switched

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
I do not use them and never will. I have seen them used on deer and they worked fine. Anything bigger, forget it. I have had a number of instances where hunters I was guiding had them fail to operate properly on caribou, moose and black bear.

The most recent problem was on a small 200 pound black bear and it only penetrated about 6 inches........ it was all on his small video cam that was mounted on the bow.

I'll stick with a fixed three blade thank you very much.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1806 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The most recent problem was on a small 200 pound black bear and it only penetrated about 6 inches........ it was all on his small video cam that was mounted on the bow.

I am guessing it hit one of the larger shoulder bones they well stop a lot of arrows.

Posts: 19308 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Well I guess it depends on what you call a large shoulder bone. I think it clipped the rear edge of the scapula and when it opened on impact, turned it and slowed the penetration. This was not an impact of the larger shoulder bone below the scapula.

I have seen conventional broadheads penetrate the scapula many times. In any event, this was not the first time I have seen them screw things up. I doubt I will ever be convinced that they should be used on anything bigger than small stuff either.

I also had a couple of caribou hunters with them that had grief. One in particular was very strange as it appeared to turn sideways when it hit the rib cage and then go in on an angle just under the ribs towards the paunch. About half of the shaft was sticking out of the caribou, but laying almost flat against its side/shoulder.

We ended up having to shoot it with a rifle and when we opened it up the broached had expanded but it looked to have hooked on the rib and that turned it. It most certainly would not have died from the wound as it did not reach the liver and it did not score a lung. Which explains why it did not get sick........... and we could not get near it and had to finish with the rifle.

Anyhow, they just are not my cup of tea from what I have seen so far in the field.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1806 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been shooting the wasp jak hammer since 1994 with great results.
Almost forty whitetails three black bears two coyotes
And two antelope. They have some of the thickest blades
On the market. I like the select cut 1.5-1.75 and for
My bears I used the 1.25 models. My experience has shown me that
An arrow weighing in at 410 grains and a minimum of 265
Fps is where I started to experience my best results. I am currently
Shooting a 450gr arrow at 295fps and it is devastating. I have shot these heads
Out to 80 yards with accuracy matching my field points. Although I have not used the grim reapers
I have shared enough camps with guys that are that they would be my 2nd choice. I have shot the
Wasp up to 320fps and did not have any flight problems.

One of Us
Picture of Highlander7
posted Hide Post
I started bow hunting with Satellite broadheads and then to Muzzy's. When I converted to crossbow (shoulder injury) and I also converted to mechanical's. The G5 T3 is what my wife and I currently used. Flies accurate to our field points. We have taken nearly 10 Whitetails and used them on our trip to RSA last year which we took Bush pig, Blue Wildebeest, Zebra and Sable. No problems. I also just returned last week from a Black Bear hunt in B.C. Canada and took a my first bear using the T3. The bear expired within 3 minutes. Place the shot where it needs to go. Have confidence in yourself and your equipment.

MSG, USA (Ret.) Armor
NRA Life Memeber

Posts: 596 | Location: Chester County, PA. | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote