THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    Re: How does height affect point of impact?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: How does height affect point of impact?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
9.3x62 - Yes and if you dropped the arrow at the same time you shot the arrow parallel to the ground they would hit at the same time.

Quote:

a 30 yds shot on flat ground compared to a 30 yd shot (as the arrow flies) from a high angle.

From 30 feet up and a 30 yard target I would have to hold for 28.79 yards.

I understand the angle thing, that is why I used 10,15... and 50 feet. At 10-15 feet I don't need to hold over at all even though the arrow is traveling farther. The 50 foot height was to show that the higher you went, yes, the more you would have to allow for the angle.

Wish I could scroll up to see the other postings. To the person who shoots a 700 grain arrow. I could only get that on the computer program with something like a 2514 Easton XX78 at 30" and a 270 grain broadhead. What are you hunting, elephants?

My 441 grain arrows blow completely through bears and deer with 78 foot pounds of energy. Again, why a 700 grain arrow? You would get a much better trajectory and you would not miss as much if you miscalculated your range to the target. Do people really go above 20 feet high to hunt? I have seen shows that look like they do but the camera is deceiving. My normal treestand height is 10-16 feet.

Not trying to start any arguments but I don't think math lies.

Posts: 361 | Location: Valdez, AK (aka Heaven) | Registered: 17 January 2003Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
Try this:

Climb 40 ft up into a tree with 2 identical rocks. Throw one straight down and throw the other straight out - same trajectory? I think not...

Ever wonder why it takes lots of gas to drive up a hill and why you can coast down the other side? Gravity is a constant, but the directions we choose to exert against it are not. Ever noticed how you can jump farther forward than up?

All this hypotenuse talk is beside the point because all it determines is the actual distance. This is obviously always a necessary part of connecting on a shot. The variable here is how shooting in different angles relative to the pull of gravity will affect the arrows flight, holding the distance fixed; i.e. a 30 yds shot on flat ground compared to a 30 yd shot (as the arrow flies) from a high angle.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Just make sure you bend at the waist when you soot from any height. Not doing so will always throw your shot off.

Posts: 19131 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It shouldn't, theoretically. Gravity is still the constant. 20 yds is 20 yds. 20 yds from 14 feet up in a tree, however, looks closer to 30 yds. Range estimation should be made from the base of your tree vs from your vantage point.

Posts: 6545 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Trajectory of an arrow is usually not effected unless you are above the height you mentioned. Trajectory is also not effected near as much w/ a very fast bow while using light arrows.

When trajectory really changes is when you use a moderately fast bow w/ heavy arrows or a slow bow too.

Gravity and velocity are the culprits. When you sight a bow at 20 yards on level ground (assuming the bow is shooting say 235 fps w/ a aluminum arrow and 125+ heads) the arrow has an arc to the target because gravity pulls perpindicular to the earths level surface. When you elevate yourself to say 25' and shoot at the same distance the effect of gravity is less and causes less of an arc due to the angle at which the arrow is being launched which, results in a high hit from the same zero you had at a level shot.

When you use some of today's fast setups the arch from 15, 20, and even 30 yards is not that much so, the trajectory is not effected near as much. The smaller, faster projectile is effected less by gravity because it has less mass and it is in the air for a shorter period of time.

Two prime examples are the two bows that I currently own. My main bow shoots a 29.5" PSE Carbon Force Extreme arrow tipped w/ a 100 grn point at 275 fps. That bow only shoots 2" high w/ my 20 yard ground pin but is dead on in the 25-30 yard range (shooting the 20 yard level ground pin). 2" isn't gonna hurt my aim too much on a deer.

Now, My back-up bow (a 10+ year old High Country) shoots aluminum arrows at around 235 fps and the arrows are alot heavier than my carbons. That bow shoots about 6 inches high when 20-25 feet high while using the 20 yard level ground pin. That can really hurt you in a hunting situation especially, when you figure in the drop from a deer's reflexes.

This whole concept is why pendelum sights were produced. And a good quality pendelum sight is hard to beat on a bow that is not really fast. i have one of the Savage Pendelums that is designed to be sighted in at 20 yards on flat ground and it is dead on from zero to thirty yards while 15+ feet in a stand.

i don't think at 14 feet you will see a whole lot of difference in trajectory but, regardless of what any of us advise you to do, you should practice some from an elevated position to be sure what your equipment will do while hunting. Believe me, I learned this the hard way.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of befus
posted Hide Post
I can only get a few feet off the ground for practice. If shooting from a 14 foot tree stand down at a deer how will the point of impact change, say on a 20 yard shot, as compared to shooting level with the target?

Posts: 241 | Location: Beautiful NW Arkansas | Registered: 27 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
reloader, you made a mistake! The force of gravity never changes. If you shoot straight up, gravity pulls on the back of the arrow. If you shoot straight down, gravity pulls on the point of course. This eliminates the arc. Now as you change the angle, gravity will pull on the arrow a little different but the force never changes. The most arc is when shooting parallel with the ground. The higher you get in a tree the more the force pulls the arrow in the direction it is shot, flattening the arc. Shooting up at a steep angle also flattens the arc. You will hit high shooting up or down.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
How high you are is a bit beside the point, the angle you are to your intended target is the main concern. If you are 14 ft up and a deer walks practically under your tree, you need to hold a bit low. This is a fact I have personal experience with - it's quite easy to shoot over their backs...

Any projectile will behave differently when you dramatically change its path of travel relative to the direction of pull exerted by gravity.

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Bfrshooter,

No, not a mistake, I never said gravity changes, it always stays the same. I said depending on the height you are shooting from that gravity effects the arc differently. Gravity actually helps the speed of your arrow when shot straight down but it is too small of an amount to matter. When using trigonometric formulas and The Laws of Physics you can find out exactly what the arc of your arrow will be but, who wants to go through the hassel. Just get in a tree and shoot.

Good Luck to Everyone!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CaptJack
posted Hide Post
If you shoot down the side of a hill with a bow or a rifle and the arrow or the bullet is parallel with the side of the hill you will shoot high.
If you shoot out of an elevated stand you will shoot high even if the arrow or bullet are not level with the ground.
As opposed to the same shot on level ground.

If you shoot up the side of a hill and the arrow or bullet are parallel with the side of the hill you will shoot low.
As opposed to the same shot on level ground.

The other major point to consider when you are shooting up or down hill (or from an elevated stand)- It is most important to focus on the exit hole of the arrow or bullet and where it will make contact with the vitals.

I thought I'd share this one with y'all
This is a scetch of the 80yard walkup target on the "Red" Texas State Championship range in BuffaloGap, outside of Abilene. I hope you can tell? We shot along the edge of a bluff shooting down to the target. It's one of the toughest targets in the state of Texas. Especially if you haven't shot it before.
The 80yd stake is 30ft above the target and usually shot for around 75-76yards
The 50yd stake is 60ft above the target and usually shot for 41-43yards.