Find
Notify
Tools

Peep sights at night.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of James Walker
posted
I have recently been bowhunting on humani ranch for bushpig, We managed to get two nice boars, however we struggled to shoot at night since we could not see through our peep sights in the dark. i had to get a buddy to hold a torch behnd me so I could shoot. Are their things like glow in the dark peeps that i can get or what. please help. James

Posts: 40 | Location: South Africa. | Registered: 15 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is an extremely good question. I was in the same situation, it was too early in the morning. I was goin nuts tryin to figure out if I really was at my anchor point solid or not. In hindsight I came to the comclusion that if I practice drawing to my anchor point with my eyes closed, then after a while I would hit my anchor point EVERY TIME, and would be looking perfectly through the peep. So, in theory, even though you cannot see the peep, you should be looking through it if you are on your anchor point solid. I am still pracicing, and have yet to do some night shooting to prove this theory. Even if you are off a hair, you should still be able to put an arrow within a few inches of your aim if you can see your pins real good, And you get to your anchor point consistently. Then again too, I could be wrong!?!

Maybe somebody does have a hi viz peep of sorts for this situation. I wonder how that would affect your sight picture with something glowing so close to your face.

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We do a lot of night hog hunting down here and peeps just don't work. My advise is to get a kisser button, Tritium sight pin, lose the peep and practice, practice, practice.

Posts: 498 | Location: San Antonio , Texas USA | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
I use a single pin front sight with a UV light and a Hind Site on the rear. The crosshairs on the Hind Sight glow in the dark after you "charge" them with a flashlight beam. They glow for almost 1/2 hour. Check out their web site.

Elite Archery and High Country dealer.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Walker has the right idea. The problem with the peep, even when the pin is lit up, is that you dont know if you are looking over the top or over the bottom through those two V's in the string. The kisser button is a good idea and losing the peep when shooint in low/dark conditions is also a good idea. If you anchor with you nose on the string, you can serve the bexact point that you put you nose on and burn a "rough" piece on there so that your nose feels it. The all you do is shoot as you would except trust that your bow will shoot where the sight pin is put regardless of the peep being out.

Lastly, practise this shooting under the exact conditions/lighting that you would hunt in.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm currently testing the Zeiss Z-point, and I had to take the peep off the string to get the right alignment between eye and sight (this is a reflex sight, with a red dot hoovering in an zero-maginification optical implement (you can probably tell I'm not too technically inclined ;-) ).

It was with some apprehension that I did this, because, without the peep, how was I going to line up properly? Well, I don't know how I do it, but I do. I shoot as good as ever without the peep, actually better, because for some reason I've managed to do away with the flyers. The latter may not be attributable to the sight, I just seem to shoot with more confidence, and that probably does the trick. Maybe because there is only one thing to focus on, instead of two. I didn't change my anchor points: right index knuckle under the ear, nose on the string...

Oh, and of course, needless to say, this solves the low-light problem. The red dot's brightness is adjustable, but also auto-adjusts to changing light conditions.

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
I use a Timberline No-Peep in conjunction with a kisser.

1. Draw and align the No-Peep
2. Concentrate on not letting the kisser move
3. Pick the pin Shoot

This method is VERY accurate and forgiving in low light. You can also learn it quite quickly.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Cabelas sells a little device that turns your mini-maglite into a stabilizer on your bow....this works well for within 20 yard shots at night for me

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try a NO-PEEP its works well into darkness, peeps are too limited and mechanically fail often (surgical tubing)

Posts: 498 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote