THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    Re: My husband is losing his tips

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: My husband is losing his tips
 Login/Join

<9.3x62>
posted
Gorilla glue...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Only thing is- acetone can attack the carbon and weaken it. So, stick with denatured alcohol.

Use a rifle bore brush (270) for roughening up the inside of the shaft. Then clean it with Q-tip and denatured alcohol. After that dries, glue it in. I use locktite quicktite super glue gel (available at hardwares). They never will pull out with this method.

Posts: 2851 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was wondering about that Ken. I Did say that I only had aluminum arrows myself. derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the arrows must be very clean when you glue the inserts into place make shure to use a strong alcohol solution with a q-tip.

i am shooting carbons out of my custum hoyt hypertec set at 95# the arrows have 3 grain per inch inserts and 145 grain head for 620 grains toatle and im still getting 250fps adverage.

i want to get a heavyer bow and use my 95# as my light set up if i do that i will back off my arrow weight to 520 grains in 95# and my speed will go up to about 275-280fps

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now he has 5 arrows with missing target tips. It isn't the screwed in piece, it is the piece that slides into the carbon shaft. I think they're coming out inside the broadhead buck, which is real hard to pull the arrows out of.

All of my arrows are okay, the carbon express must be a better quality.

He'll have to buy some new tips first but is it okay to epoxy them in?

Plinker

Posts: 1522 | Location: WV | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CaptJack
posted Hide Post
I use denatured alcohol (95% ethanol/5% methanol) to clean my arrows
I get it in the paint department at the hardware store
I works a lot better than isopropyl alcohol.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am only useing Aluminum Penny and Acetone for cleaning. The guys at BO were saying that when fletching they usually have to sand the arrow where the vane will sit. derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Plinker: It's definitely because of the coating on the arrows. The carbon arrows have to have the coating removed before the glue will stick to them. Epoxy is fine. I use some sandpaper on a screwdriver; somebody makes a tool specifically for preparing carbon arrows; look in Cabela's catalog.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote