New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: First Crossbow Kill
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Glad to hear you did good. I am from Ohio and took 4 deer with a crossbow there when my shoulder and elbow kept me from the compound. I now live in WV where even someone in a wheelchair can't use a crossbow. Talk about backward red necks! Of course this is the "good old boy state." I still love it here except it is a liberal, democratic state. For a state full of hunters, I can't understand them voting for anti-gun politicians. When Kerry makes them all hunt with sharp sticks and rocks, I won't feel sorry for them.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of holzauge
posted Hide Post
The crossbow is a Barnett Quad 400 compound that I cock with a windless attachment. I don't know what that translates to in terms of pull. It shoots the @100 gr bolt at about the speed of a .22 long rifle bullet. Using the cheesey little scope I got in the package deal I can shoot a 1.5 to 20 inch group at 30 yards OTB. It feels much like a rifle and I feel really effective to about 45 yrd.s. I like everthing but the super creepy, heavy trigger but to get a much better trigger I would have had to spend much more money and I didn't want to do that without knowing if I'd like shooting a crossbow. In truth though, at the ranges over which I'd ever use it are so short I don't think the trigger matters much and I didn't even notice when I killed the deer. I bought it without any real knowledge of such things. Since then I found a good private range where the owner is avery helpful expert. He helped me zero it in and said Barnett's new Revolution is much better at about the same price.

Posts: 621 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: 06 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Of course this is the "good old boy state." I still love it here except it is a liberal, democratic state. For a state full of hunters, I can't understand them voting for anti-gun politicians. When Kerry makes them all hunt with sharp sticks and rocks, I won't feel sorry for them.

It's because there aren't enough decent jobs here and a vast majority are on government handout programs. I have observed young guys on disability for bad backs that can still manage to drag deer out of the woods.

Personally, i make it a point not to admit my presidential preference, but, may the best looking... i mean, the best man win

Plinker

Posts: 1522 | Location: WV | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote