The Accurate Reloading Forums
Anti Bow Hunting Letter.

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1021043/m/792102305

29 June 2006, 14:46
Soroko
Anti Bow Hunting Letter.
Last night I picked up my July issue of Magnum and settled down for a relaxing and enjoyable read. (I buy this magazine each month as I buy every other magazine pertaining to hunting in South Africa.) I always read the “Letters To The Editor†with great interest.
Last night was a read of a different kind ………………

The letter on page 10, “Nee vir Boogjag†from “Wildsboer, /Limpopo†astounded and horrified me. What astounded me even more was that in the face of the onslaught that bow hunting is facing at the present moment in South Africa, Magnum printed this letter, which is in actual fact merely one mans opinion, without any other alternative opinion being sought and printed in spite of the fact that this individual’s opinion is very flawed, biased and inaccurate!

For the sake of our international English bow hunters I will interpret his letter for you as it is in Afrikaans:
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
This is what Wildsboer, /Limpopo†wrote:

After lengthy consideration he decided to allow bow hunting on his farm in spite of the fact that he was warned by many farmers not to. The biggest reason was that to many animals were wounded and then could not be found, or were only found days later after they had died. Due to the great demand for bow hunting though, he decided to go ahead and allow bow hunting on his farm. He says that this was a decision that he quickly regretted - after the third animal was wounded and could not be found, he immediately stopped all bow hunting on his farm. He asks why a person would want to shoot a “large mammal†with a bow and arrow when there are guns available. (He does not define what he considers a large mammal to be.) He adds that we might as well then try and kill everything with a .22LR or spear. He says it all comes down to the same thing – you want to use the smallest weapon possible to kill the animal.

He quotes from a magazine, Landbouweekblad, dated 8 May 2006 that there is an interesting article regarding bow hunting wherein the author states that 48% of all arrows shot result in wounds and animals that are never recovered.

He adds that he predicts and hopes that bow hunting is no longer allowed in South Africa. He says that in his opinion only farmers who do not care for their animals should allow bow hunting on their farms.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The anti bow hunting sentiment of this farmer is evident right from the beginning of his letter and it is confirmed in his questioning why a person would want to hunt with a bow when there are rifles available? He adds that he predicts and hopes that bow hunting is banned in South Africa and that only farmers who do not care for their game should allow bow hunting on their farms. (I am sure that the anti bow hunting fraternity will boost the sales of Magnum magazine this month as they purchase and distribute this damaging information and perpetuate the anti bow hunting sentiment from the pages of a “reputable†South African magazine directed at hunters.)

He also says that he decided to go ahead and allow bow hunting on his farm as there is a great demand for it - I wonder why there is so great a demand and why so many other farmers are allowing bow hunting – surely not because they don’t care for their game? Maybe “Wildsboer, Limpopo:†does not have his house in the order that it should be – maybe he is the problem?

I have many questions that I would like answered from “Wildsboer, Limpopo:â€

1. What knowledge does this farmer have of bow hunting – does he understand bow hunting and the equipment used and is he a competent bow hunter himself – has he taken the time to complete a bow hunting course so that he is in a position to advise these paying clients of his from an informed perspective?
2. Has this farmer killed an animal with a bow personally before he allowed bow hunting on his farm?
3. How many animals has this farmer personally witnessed being killed with a bow – any at all?
4. Where the bow hunters that he allowed to hunt on his farm competent?
5. Did he test them for proficiency before he allowed them to hunt on his farm?
6. Did he find their skill to be acceptable before he allowed them to hunt on his farm?
7. Was their equipment suitable for the type of game hunted?
8. Where these bow hunters experienced and had they hunted successfully with a bow before – did he check that?
9. Under what conditions did they hunt – did they walk and stalk or shoot out of a blind?
10. Over what distances where the animals that were wounded shot?
11. What animals were shot – what does he consider to be a “groot soogdier�
12. What assistance was rendered to the bow hunters in the recovery of these animals – were there competent trackers available if the hunters themselves were not qualified trackers?
13. Were these wounded animals ever found and what was the conclusion after the post mortem?
14. HAS NO ANIMAL EVER BEEN WOUNDED ON HIS FARM WITH A RIFLE? (Or on any other farm that he knows of for that matter.) If the answer is yes, then why is he not calling for a ban on rifle hunting – let’s only allow rifle hunting on farms where farmers don’t care for their game???

I support all legal forms of hunting and will always continue to do so – a hunter is a hunter, irrespective of what weapon he chooses to use. Opinions are merely that, opinions – they become extremely destructive though when published in a reputable magazine that is distributed world wide.

If you feel as strongly about this as I do - e-mail your comments to The Editor of Magnum - mail@manmagnum.co.za
01 July 2006, 02:34
eyedoc
Roy-Excellent post, informative and well written.Now get back on your computer and write a scathing letter to the magazine demanding a chance to rebuff this garbage.Maybe some cancellations are in order otherwise.

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!