New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is Speed everything ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
no sir, we were set up for rifle hunting, and went to an adjoining area with pit blinds but no game Big Grin

We sat in a quick blind one evening. PH said you know those tracks are buffalo...we may just find out how good you are with that longbow. I said we'll find out how good you are with that 458Lott because I will stick an arra in a buffalo.. Big Grin

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
Picture of African Barefoot Safaris
posted Hide Post
Nice!! Yes its a great experience to come and do Africa Hunt with a bow and arrow!!
If uncle Richard ever come back to Africa I think he should pack his mighty Mathews so that we can see if that bow can kill a warthog....

Reon van Tonder
Outfitter and PH
African Barefoot Safaris
africanbarefootsafaris@gmail.com

Posts: 55 | Location: South Africa/ Namibia | Registered: 04 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From what can can gather, the difference in 50 fps at 30 yards would be about 1/2 of 1/2 a second, or .05 seconds.

Ive had the same bow for 7 years and i like it so have never changed. But this conversation had me looking at some of the new bows because they are so much faster than my ibo rated 310 unit.

in the end i think for now ill keep what i got. Great conversation though (most of it).

Posts: 154 | Location: N. Texas | Registered: 26 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two questions, if I may:
1. what is your verifiable documented source?
2. how much additional drop is that?

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1. I used IBO ratings. Then I googled arrow time of flight to target.
2. I do not know.

Posts: 154 | Location: N. Texas | Registered: 26 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
According to the Archery Ballistic/Trajectory calculator I found online, Javascript Archery Ballistics Calculator V2.08 (my verifiable documented source faint), with everything about the arrow being the same; fletch, shaft diameter, weight etc the difference in trajectory from 360 to 310 is 4 to 5 inches at 30 yards.

Welcome to the forum Abbispa wave

This place is a great source of info, some good and some bad. Hard to tell which is which sometimes!

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks.

Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Speed kills...

Else nobody would be shooting a compound in lieu of a traditional longbow or recurve and wooden arrows, or using sights.

Speed isn't the reason most folks shoot compounds, but the relaxation from peak weight to holding weight. And, they are certainly easier to learn to shoot than traditional gear.

Speed? For me it doesn't rank at all like a quiet bow and a razor sharp broadhead. I shoot Easton 2215s, 28 1/4" w/Bear 145 gr Razorheads, total arrow wt 525 gr. I get 238-240 fps out of both my bows at 58 lbs. I've not had a deer or hog duck an arrow or jump the string on me either. And, my 69-y.o. shoulders are thankful.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am glad to hear that seems to work for you.

However, what is your shot maximum distance?

When I lived in Southern Illinois, I shot whitetail deer from a tree stand on my parents farm. When we combined the corn each fall, the combine filled trucks at one spot. The grain truck could keep out of the mud there.

My stand was about ten yards from where the OOPS! overflow hit the ground. I shot an Earl Hoyt 6PM recurve at 52lbs with my 31" cedar arrows and Howard Hill broadheads. I doubt seriously the speed was 200fps. Didn't need to be.

Idaho is entirely different circumstances. Shots are generally longer, and the game is a bit hardier. Here, you need the speed unless you are perfect on the yardage and angle estimate.

I am glad to hear your set up is having such good results.

Rich

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob--you are spot on. The whole answer is "It Depends" for sure. Western state hunters are normally shooting longer distances for sure and the flatter trajectory helps with range estimation errors. I just can't buy the lightweight arrows however--due to less potential for penetration.

I self-limit my shots to 25-30 yds max and I hunt in thick stuff so I'm not really limiting myself.

Killed my first buck with a 50-lb Howatt Hi-Speed and like you, I doubt it will hit 200 fps. Might need to set up the chrono in the yard today and see, just for grins.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well--obviously with my shorter draw length and lighter draw weight, 200 fps wasn't even a remote possibility. With target points, the highest I got was 162 fps.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
sharp broadheads...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The key is practice, both in shooting and range estimation. Know your equipment!
In this age of rangefinders it makes it a lot easier.

Practice is way above speed on the importance scale.
_______
quote:
Originally posted by dustoffer:
Bob--you are spot on. The whole answer is "It Depends" for sure. Western state hunters are normally shooting longer distances for sure and the flatter trajectory helps with range estimation errors. I just can't buy the lightweight arrows however--due to less potential for penetration.

I self-limit my shots to 25-30 yds max and I hunt in thick stuff so I'm not really limiting myself.

Killed my first buck with a 50-lb Howatt Hi-Speed and like you, I doubt it will hit 200 fps. Might need to set up the chrono in the yard today and see, just for grins.

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NPD345 makes several excellent points. That said, ask him what bow he shoots, and how far the shot was on the Antelope he shot last fall... horse

One of Us
posted Hide Post
asked and answered several times already

40 yards, the max I will shoot on game.
Bowtech RPM360. Truly a fine bow for use in a blind

Great all around bow. In order of importance to me shooting out of a ground blind;

Short axle to axle, smooth draw, dead in the hand at let off,consistant and at 72lbs, pretty fast. All good reasons to pick a bow.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shane, glad to hear it's working out for you.

Posts: 20075 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peep sites, 85%+ let off, and releases are the reasons allow compound shooters kill more effectively. Speed just makes those pieces of tech reach farther, more efficient. Shoot your whatever brand of modern compound with out the above accouterments and tell me how that works for you, and speed certainly won't help.

It is not the speed of arrow that kills 99.9% of the time. It is the arrow hitting the vitals of the animal.

Speed does kill. The misuser of speed.

Posts: 457 | Location: NW Nebraska | Registered: 07 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 tu2

quote:
Originally posted by slim buttes:
Peep sites, 85%+ let off, and releases are the reasons allow compound shooters kill more effectively. Speed just makes those pieces of tech reach farther, more efficient. Shoot your whatever brand of modern compound with out the above accouterments and tell me how that works for you, and speed certainly won't help.

It is not the speed of arrow that kills 99.9% of the time. It is the arrow hitting the vitals of the animal.

Speed does kill. The misuser of speed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think "shootability"is starting to become the new goal of the major manufacturers. Perhaps Elite has started that trend. Most newer bow models are starting to trend back towards 32-34" axle-to-axle lengths, and 7" brace heights. Bowtech is an example, their fastest bow is now listed at 350 fps, where the RPM was 360. Speed has always been an obvious goal, as it can be measured, where shootability, vibration, hand shock, and smoothness of the draw are all subjective. Forget the hype, just go and shoot them. You'll know when you find the right one.

Posts: 20075 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And thanks to you I got the right one and at a great price! dancing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
:-)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shane, now that I can shoot again, and worked up to 70 lbs, guess what I got....another RPM 360!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You the Man!!!
archer