New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is Speed everything ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope I am not that RPM360 owner you are referring to. I prefer to not shoot on game past 40. No matter how fast my bow.

Speed is helpful but nowhere near as important as smoothness, consistency and the bow being quiet.

The reason the companies keep trying to increase speed is ,IMHO, because that what sells bows to the new shooters as well as some of the old.

Speed does help makeup for poor range estimation for sure but it also magnifies every error in your form.

It all boils down to practice, practice and more practice with what you plan to use.

I have no idea how fast my RPM360 is and don't really care. It is smooth, quiet and consistent; that is what matter to me.

Jon I plan on using the 360, I got from you next week on antelope.

I have the below pictured buck coming in every three days for the last month. (clock not set correctly though!) archer
God how I love trail cameras!!

quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
at the risk of oversimplifying the accuracy thing; every week I see some newbie at the shop get 1/2 hour's worth of hands on training and be able to keep their arrows in a 3" or smaller group at 20yds with sights.

If what you gentlemen have posted is true, why do the archery companies keep increasing speed?

Any of you ever been to Redding for the premier 3D shoot of the country, or to the IFAA in Vegas the week of SCI?
There's a software program that lets you input data like arrow length, weight, and velocity, a few other things, and the sight you are using.
It then prints out a tape from 20-120yds or so in 1yd increments. The serious competitors carry a nifty little rangefinder monocular that reads in 1yd increments as well.

The local guys that shoot those two matches tell me that speed is the most important part of the equation.

One of the posters here will take a clean shot at big game here in Idaho out to sixty yards. He is a very accurate shot. He just bought a new RPM360. He did NOT buy it for the smoothness, he bought it for the speed.

A friend who is a PH in RSA guides archery clients as well as firearm clients, and mostly hunts himself with a compound. Another RPM360 owner. He believes that speed matters more than any other part of the equation.

the data Steve posted, very impressive. That said, does it include a constant decay rate, or one that is unique the individual projectile tested?

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree here on the #1 priority for a hunting bow.

regards,

Rich

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Weighed all six of the arrows I fitted broadheads to this afternoon.

I am shooting a Carbon Injexion Deep Six Micro OD 330 that weighs 10.1gr per inch. With 100gr Muzzy Trocars and a 32 inch total length from nock to broadhead tip they weigh 467gr average for all six. And they clocked 327fps today.

Rich

PS: the local guy I was talking about WAS shooting broadhead tipped hunting arrows at 50yds this morning...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
at a target not an animal, and it was 40 yards. 50 was the one closer to the building
And not doing very well at it if I may say so myself!!
shane

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I may have been speaking about the third member of our party...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that was a Matthews not a Bowtech.

he left for elk camp today and I leave for antelope Saturday dancing dancing dancing
quote:
I may have been speaking about the third member of our party...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
distance...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
he is shooting at 40 with me

One of Us
posted Hide Post
did you really kill an antelope with 16"+ horns using a speed bow a couple days ago?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes I did!!! And at 40 yards!!

the speed sure as hell didn't hurt the situation but was one of many things that came together to make this buck of a live time mine archer archer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, that was MY bow!!! :-)

Posts: 20075 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was!!!! dancing archer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs,

that WAS a speedbow when you owned it, wasn't it?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your killing me Rich with this fetish of the word "speedbow" faint

If the only reason a person bought a certain hunting bow was for speed, and speed only, he is a fxxking idiot.

Many factors make a good bow and having all of those factors/traits makes a fantastic bow;which the Bowtech RPM 360 is; but the only thing that makes it a better bow, than say my Destroyer 340, is the short axle to axle for in the blind not speed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
wanna talk fetish? Let's talk about women...

one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
quote:

Speed does help makeup for poor range estimation for sure but it also magnifies every error in your form.
[/QUOTE]

How does it "magnify" error? Please explain.

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you have convinced me of the error of my ways.

I'm going to buy a new longbow.

If speed isn't what I think it is, a 30 pound draw and 100fps should suffice...

one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
Read closely. Every thing between the blue lines is a quote.
I have never understood what these guys mean when they spout such rediculous notions as speed hurts accuracy. It makes no sense!

one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
npd345 said it not me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know, but he got me a ride to the gun show in Boise this morning.

The speed debate is funny, coming from a guy who upgraded from a Bowtech Destroyer 340 to an RPM 360. But NOT, he says, for the added speed...

I've known him since 1982.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If everything in your form is good speed will not hurt it in fact it will probably help.

However if you have problems with how you release the arrow, how you hold your arm or your follow thru in my experience that will effect the arrow flight and the consistency of your arrow placement.

Basically, I am saying, if you can't shoot well with an arrow at 200fps or 240fps going to 300fps is not going to help and in my experience only make it worse.

The faster the arrow the more critical the form. Bad form means bad arrow flight.

I am a bowhunter, plain and simple and have been for 40 years. I have done some target shooting; indoor and outdoor and worked in a pro shop. I am no expert and will never claim to be. I do have my opinion.

I don't shy away from a fast bow I just don't feel that it is the great thing some claim it to be for archery.

Just one of many factors to consider or not consider.

I have hunted with longbows an a recurve as well as compounds. I now use a compound because that is what works best for ME.

quote:
Originally posted by bluetick:
npd345 said it not me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich as you say we have known wach other since 1982.

Your post makes me believe that you don't believe the reason I got another bow was not for speed.

Both the Destroyer 340 and the RPM360 are fine bow each the better for certain types of hunting. I still have both as well as several other bows.

Actually the reason I wanted this bow was for the shorter axle to axle length for use in a blind.

But if you choose to not believe that and choose to insinuate that I am not being trueful about this I can only say ,that on this subject you can kiss my ass. bsflag

quote:
I know, but he got me a ride to the gun show in Boise this morning.

The speed debate is funny, coming from a guy who upgraded from a Bowtech Destroyer 340 to an RPM 360. But NOT, he says, for the added speed...

I've known him since 1982.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
how vulgar...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin dancing rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought it was a compliment! Shane doesn't let just anybody kiss his ass :-)

Posts: 20075 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs,

You have some personal anecdotal stories to relate here...?

moon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anecdotal??? There you go with those dirty words again! :-)

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If what you gentlemen have posted is true, why do the archery companies keep increasing speed

Because it sells new bow.

I have killed deer with a long bow then a recurve then a 4 wheel Allen compound then a cam compound. Then a high end Matthews at over 300 fps now a cross bow,

Shot a buck 3 nights ago 18 yards didn't have a clue I was around most likely I could have killed him with any of the above,

That said the move from the long bow to bows with faster speed has helped placing the arrow on target.

How fast is fast enough beats me.

Posts: 19310 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very well said.

I said it before and I will say it again; if the only reason you buy a particular bow is because of its advertised speed that person is an idiot.

Lots of factors go into making a great bow; speed is one of them but not the only one or even the most important.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is it true that the shorter, axle to axle, a bow is, the more hand shock and vibration there is?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No it depends on the bow

One of Us
Picture of African Barefoot Safaris
posted Hide Post
I have one thing to say....
SPEED KILLS!!!!

Reon van Tonder
Outfitter and PH
African Barefoot Safaris
africanbarefootsafaris@gmail.com

Posts: 55 | Location: South Africa/ Namibia | Registered: 04 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by African Barefoot Safaris:
I have one thing to say....
SPEED KILLS!!!!

As long as the arrow penetrates the vitals that is all the speed one needs.

Posts: 19310 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
p dog,

NPD and I have both hunted with Reon. He shoots a Bowtech 360, and so does NPD345. Claimed 360fps. Me, I'm the slacker with my Mathews Monster Wake at 352...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
speed is for sure everything....

yesterday afternoon....

my 52# recurve shoots that hickory shafted arrow at a blistering 150fps..... Big Grin

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
posted Hide Post
is that a obsidian arrowhead??

congrats to a true traditional archer!! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
npd345, yes it is Obsidian I knapped prolly 15 years ago and killed a doe that year with it. Broke the top on the doe and resharpened it and put it away till the other day...

the shaft is hickory which is very heavy and tough as nails. It will bend like this one, or worse, and can be heated and straightened.

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good for you!!

I good, local, friend of mine has been knapping his heads for years. he has taken elk, deer and bear with them. They are scary sharp.

shane

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DTala, you should bring your stick bow over to Africa... I had my first traditional hunter over in 2015 and he had a blast!!!

Reon van Tonder
Outfitter and PH
African Barefoot Safaris

Posts: 55 | Location: South Africa/ Namibia | Registered: 04 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like this???

PH Jim Mackie and I in Zimbabwe 2005....

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes Sir just like that!!But with some animals around... Did you get to shoot anything while you where over there?

Reon van Tonder
Outfitter and PH
African Barefoot Safaris