New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Recurve Which one?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am wanting to shelf my compund and start shooting/hunting with a recurve. I have never shot a recurve. I am 6'3" and have a 32" draw length. I was just curious as to what bow I should buy or what I should look for in a bow? Thanks

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most recurves are "shot off the shelf" that means you just put some fuzzy stuff on the shelf and don't use an elevated rest. This gets the arrow closer to your hand and is easier to shoot instinctively. That said the shelf should have a radius front to back and not be totally flat-it gives you better arrow flight. Any of the major comapnies make good recurves. I shoot a PSE and it's an entry level bow-inexpensive. I've shot 5 deer with it and it works fine. Best thing is to hang out where "traditional"shooters shoot and start asking questions. I bet you'll end up with a couple bows eventually, we all do it seems.

If you give the recurve a chance you'll really enjoy it. They're fun to shoot and if you want to hunt they work well within their parameters.

the chef

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks I am excited to get started. It looks like alot of fun. Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still thinking here....You should probably find one that's center shot too. Makes for an easier time finding arrows. Then you should decide on a shooting technique-split finger, three under etc. Knowing what I do now I'd probably start shooting 3 under. If you shoot 3 under you can get away with an elevated rest and have somewhat better arrow flight. Then you would probably use a gap method of aiming rather than instinctive.

Three rivers archery is the best place on the net for trad. gear. There's a video called "masters of the barebow" you might consider getting it before you buy. there's some great info in it.

have fun

one of us
posted Hide Post
Three under? Does that mean your first three fingers under and none on top? I have heard of that DVD "Masters of the Bare Bow, I will be getting that soon. Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chain,
If you want the best price/quality recurve you better get a Quinn Stallion.
For the best recurve nothing but the DAS Kinetics.
You can shoot them off the shelf or with button/rest.
JMHO
Martin

Double Rifle Shooters Society member from Argentina.
My doubles:
.577 Snider by W.Richards.
.58" ML by Pedersoli

Posts: 358 | Location: Bahia Blanca - Argentina | Registered: 14 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OOOps,
I forget to mention another option:
The famous Bob Gordon Warfbow.

JNHO (too)
Martin

Double Rifle Shooters Society member from Argentina.
My doubles:
.577 Snider by W.Richards.
.58" ML by Pedersoli

Posts: 358 | Location: Bahia Blanca - Argentina | Registered: 14 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will check those out Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
I highly recommend Great Plains Bows,also a schaffer silvertip or Blackwidow or BEAR ..Good luck & Have fun thumb

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
I shoot a Chek-Mate, Take-Down Hunter model. I have no reservations recommending a Chek-Mate bow.

I also shoot an older Fred Bear recurve...its great too.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Truthfully any recurve will give you about the same performance. a 50lb will spit out an arrow 160fps with a 350-400grain arrow. Your decision should be based on how much you like the "fit and finish" of a particular bow.

I don't know how strong you are but almost every hunting setup I see for deer sized game is around 50 lbs. You can shoot a bow like that a LOT withoug getting tired. It's also easy to draw when you've been freezing yer arse off for a few hours. I'd have no reservations using it for moose either although you have to be picky about your shot.

Most higher performing recurves/longbows will feel like they have good initial weight. When you draw them it should be stiff right away, if they get stiffer as you draw they're stacking. Stacking doesn't lend itself to performance.

Longbows are a dream to carry and they are dead quiet when you shoot. recurves have more mass and are more stable/forgiving to shoot.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I should be able to pull 50 lbs but I know what you are saying, when it is cold and you have been sitting immobile for hours, they get alot tougher to draw.

One of Us
Picture of splinterhands
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chain:
Thanks. I should be able to pull 50 lbs but I know what you are saying, when it is cold and you have been sitting immobile for hours, they get alot tougher to draw.

Yep. I shoot an 80lb compound but a 50lb recurve is plenty for me.

"I'm smiling because they haven't found the bodies."

Posts: 1081 | Location: Pearisburg Virginia | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am going totry and shoot a couple this weekend. Thanks

Picture of boomer453
posted Hide Post
I shoot an E.T. Williams "brown recluse" and it has been a fantastic bow. having said that you should really take a look at acadian woods bows. they make some wonderful recurves and hybrid bows.

check out bowsite.com they have a link to they're traditional archery page that is a wealth of info and links to custom bowyers as well

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bought a used take down Ragiin Hunter, Great bow for my first Great price too. Thanks

One of Us
Picture of Big Mo
posted Hide Post
Black Widow. Pricey but hard to beat. I have hunted with recurves for close to 40 years and they are my favorite.

Posts: 237 | Location: Ga. | Registered: 25 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ej
posted Hide Post
I have a Saluki Oryx flat bow. 49 # @ 28 "
shoots a 560 gr arrow at 190 fps.
was worth every penny and i like you am shelving the compound. taking this bow to africa for PG next year and cant wait. feels like im carrying a feather compared to my compound.
enjoy the arc of the arrow

Africa Bug " Embrace the bite , live for adventure "
EJ Carter 2011

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes I like mine. It is alot simpler just to grab the bow and shoot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not a target guy and I prefer straight handled longbows for hunting. But, I've shot and hunted with a bunch of recurves over the last thirty years. One recurve I keep around because it is very smooth and easy to shoot is a 3pc Bob Lee Signature recurve. They can be had with longer limb lengths for long draws. I've had this bow over a decade now and several compound shooters have used it to make the transition to a stickbow. I'd add the Bob Lee to your list for consideration.

GVA

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks I will check them out.

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chain:
A 50 lb recurve feels like a toy even to my arthritic shoulders. You'll have a shorter draw length than you did with the mechanical setup. Mine went from 32" to 28.5" (we're about the same height.)

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
find and attend a traditional shoot in your area. you will see many different trad bows on the practice range.

as you admire them, ask if you can fling an arrow or two. i have never seen a man refuse another mans' request to shoot his bow. this will give you some idea as to what each bow "feels" like, as feel in your hand is critical to accuracy.

get a copy of traditional bowhunter magazine at your local store and read some articles and look at the many advertisements for trad bows. call some of the makers and ask questions.

based on your height and compound draw, you'll probably have a trad draw of 28 to 29". a 50# recurve of modern design/manufacture will kill any deer/elk you are likely to encounter.

find a bow shop that handles several trad bows. ask t5o shoot each, start at 45 lbs so you can get an idea as to draw weight. have them measure your correct draw length for a trad bow and fit you with a bow at a starting poundage at YOUR draw weight.

your first purchase may well be a 45#er. i've killed many deer with a 45# bob lee and it will shoot a 2016 with a 2 blade magnus broadhead completely through deer easily.

i once shot a compound (for about 2 years some 26 years ago) at 65#s. went back to traditional and stayed at 45#s to 56#s. 45-50#s is plenty for any deer, 50-56#s is perfectly adequate for elk as shot placement and a shaving-sharp broadhead.

nothing compares to the simplicity and enjoyment of shooting trad. hunting with trad equipment brings the fun back into bow hunting. good luck!

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunting For Adventure
posted Hide Post
I've shot loads and just can't find anything i like as well as my Black Widow. You must check one out before you buy anything.

Tom Addleman
tom@dirtnapgear.com

Posts: 1161 | Location: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote