New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to transport your bow?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm heading out west on a plane this fall for my first bowhunting trip in a while. I noticed that the carriers have really restricted the size on luggage. My SKB bow case exceeds every airline I looked at.

Are there any small bow cases out there you use? I have heard in the past of hunters who packed their bows along with clothes into a plastic 'tub' and then put it into a duffel bag or suitcase. Not sure if that still happens much.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bite the bullet and pay the excess baggage fee.

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With the majority of airlines, archery equipment falls under sporting. Usually these dimensions are a little bit more liberal than regular baggage dimensions. I have an skb and a huge aluminum double case that I have traveled with for the last 20 years. Never been charged extra for either. Both are over the 62" limit.

One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
What Trapper 1 said. I've done this several times and as recently as an Africa trip last May/June. Sporting equipment and no extra charge. LARGE double bow case.

Posts: 730 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
Agree with above... They give you more leeway with sporting equipment...

Never had a problem with an SKB double bow case...

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 893 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve checked my SKB double bow case many times and never was charged extra. I always have two bows and some extra clothes and other stuff in it. And I weigh it to make sure it’s under 50 pounds.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What do you recommend for crossbows?

Posts: 177 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 August 2015Reply With Quote