New
Find
Notify
Tools

A beast!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've just got to brag a little. I've posted on this site a few times talking about oddball calibers, reloading, general stuff. I like big big bores and odd calibers. I also like heavy bow's. I was in a local sporting goods store the other day, mostly goofing off and noticed a crowd in the back around the owner. I'm not his best customer but he does know me. The store is in a high rent area and carries a lot of preminum stuff. The owner was passing around a compound and daring the gathering crowd to give it a pull. I was standing in the back and I guess he saw me. He tossed me the bow and told me to give it a try. Well I did and it was not pretty. I knew there was something to it because of the crowd. Well I started pulling and then started grunting and turned quite red in the face before I broke the cams. Getting it back was tuff but not as tuff as letting down. I was hooked, the owner let me buy it for a song. After I bought it, I got the owner and some of his staff to put it on a scale to see what it was set on. The scale goes to 120lbs. Well the scale bottomed out and the cams did not roll over, it also took two people to hang onto the riser to get it to bottom out. Some one used a finger nail and scratched off the data sticker so we did not know what the bow would go to. The bow was made for the owner by Bowtech. It is the Samson model and was put together just for him by one of their rep's. After I got it home I called Bowtech. After a few days I was able to talk to the rep who had it made. The bow has 33% let off and the riser, limb, cam combo gives it a draw weight of 142 pounds. Bowtech told me that based on the riser limb combo, they recommended going no lower than 105 pounds. At that wight they figured the bow was running at about 60 to 65%. I bought a doz Easton 340 FMJ's and some 100gr FP's and set the thing on 105, the thing shoots that 29.5 inch arrow at 362 fps over my Oleher 35 (avg). I called Easton and told them what I had and asked them if they made an arrow that would handle the cam, riser, limb combo set on 142. They told me no.
The rig shoots really well. I'm a little under 5gr per pound at 105 but it groups well until I get tired (does not take long) and will shoot to the fletching on a new Delta, large deer target. Its a bear to get them out. Does anyone know of a arrow maker who might make an arrow that might hold up and still give good speed? Until I get a lot stronger this not a hunting bow. I don't think I could pull it back on a cold morning after being in a ladder for a while, can barely pull it at 105 sitting in the living room. Bowtech said based on my numbers the thing would be well over 400 fps if the arrows hold up. Not sure I want to try that. archer

posted Hide Post
HAVE YOU TRIED HUNTING WITH IT ?

Posts: 16 | Location: nelspruit, South Africa | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well you've found the most direct way to shoulder injury that's a given. you might look at the grizzly sticks, at least I think that's what they're called. Someone can correct me if it's the wrong name-they are built heavy and tough.

the chef

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could slip one shaft into another larger sized shaft and get your spline stiffness that is needed. Some cape buff hunters do that.

Posts: 558 | Location: Michigan, US | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Big-Ed
posted Hide Post
...Based on your description, I think some of this - cut to length - would work.

http://www.stainless-rebar.org/index.html

Wink

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Posts: 269 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 07 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hughiam
posted Hide Post
Call Carbon Express. They have a way to stick one arrow inside the other, plus a weight tube to get the weight/spine up. It used to be in the old catalogs.

Hugh

Pro Staff for:
In Natures Image Taxidermy

Posts: 448 | Location: Palmer, AK | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I once liked heavyweights but not THAT heavy. Big Grin

I guess age(55) is telling on me though because I can't even pull my 86 pound Bear nowdays. killpc

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
muzzy makes some 220 grain broadheads That you could maybe stick on some 75-95 goldtips with the extra weight system and get the arrows over 600 grains.

my bow shot these at 230 fps at 76 pounds

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Grizzly sticks would be your best choice.

Posts: 252 | Location: Morris IL USA | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunting For Adventure
posted Hide Post
Grizzly Stiks. Heavy arrows.

Tom Addleman
tom@dirtnapgear.com

Posts: 1161 | Location: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a Mark W. stunt in Bham Al.

I bet he'd want to see me try that one.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote