Find
Notify
Tools

Three under?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
How many traditional archers here shoot with three fingers under? A bowyer I know told me to switch to this from two-under, one-over and my increased accuracy was like magic.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safari James
posted Hide Post
I shoot three under with my traditional bows.

Safari James
USMC
DRSS

Posts: 369 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot three-under also. I shot split-finger for many years, but greatly prefer three-under for bringing the arrow closer to my eye for aiming.

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot one over and two under. I always have. Most people I see who shoot three under are string walking or face walking rather than shooting purely instinctively.

Posts: 132 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am definitely not a purely instinctive shooting. I don't face-walk or string-walk. I use a combination of gap shooting and "laser beaming". There are many different ways to get the arrow from A to B. I recommend the Masters of the Barebow series of DVDs.

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 3 under the trigger of my cross bow Eeker

When I use to shoot long and recurve I shot with two under.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Yes, it makes a big difference, although I prefer split. You may need to adjust nock and tiller (if possible).

Whose your bowyer, Adcock?

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Correct. If you're having a bow built you need to specify split or three under since the tiller is different.

I shoot split. After almost 50 years of bow hunting it's still my preference.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2786 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another three under arra chucker.. Mostly long bows, fool around with recurves on occasion. Every once in a blue moon, shoot split, from the chest, but that's close range, usually light bows, goofing off..
Don't gap or string walk, but there is some mostly subconscious aiming going on. Upon review, realized I use the left side of the bow pretty much like a front sight. Have one recurve with fairly wide limbs and a deep cut window, I need to be a little more deliberate with the shot, or I,'ll shoot to the left..

Posts: 806 | Location: Ketchikan, Alaska | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've always shot split-finger, maybe should try three-under once, just to see.
I didn't really like a whatchamacallit, although it was perceptibly more consistent.

It gets me some funny looks when I shoot a light compound split-finger...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14331 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot 3 fingers under, don't string walk, adjust anchor point, and some gap shooting. Just always seemed more natural, maybe because I also shoot compound 3 finger under with no sight when hunting. Competition I shoot sights and release for compound and 3 finger under for Re-curve or Long Bow. All my Traditionalist bows are handmade and tiller set for 3 under, hunting Compound I set the timing for the cams for finger shooting and proper timing for 3 fingers under. Most people just don't understand the importance of proper wheel timing on a compound, or proper tiller on a traditional Bow. It just makes the bow much more forgiving to shoot.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
ATpro, welcome to a great Web site.
I found the three-under seemed really unnatural at first, going from split-finger, but the accuracy improvement was immediate and obvious, so I stuck with it.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
3-under works better for me.

One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
I changed from split to 3 under with my longbow, didn’t love the
Accuracy so changed to 2 under (recommended by a friend) & my accuracy has
improved substantially! I’m shooting a 49 pound ACS longbow.

Posts: 518 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 August 2005Reply With Quote