The Accurate Reloading Forums
2015 Compound prices...

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1021043/m/6671084802

17 February 2015, 10:44
Idaho Sharpshooter
2015 Compound prices...
Wow!!

My nephew came down from Baker, OR, and we took his bow to the shop for new cables.
Matthews has a new Monster that retails for $1699, and two more that are more than that.

I think my old one is going to have to make it one more year...

ISS
17 February 2015, 18:18
thecanadian
New bows are like brand new cars. The second they leave the store they loose a bunch of their value. Lots of bow hunters who want the latest and greatest will update their bow each year. I dont know what the market is in Idaho, but around here their are lots of used bows to be had. Its not to hard to find last years model, sometimes at half its original price. The only downside is that the warranty's are non transferable. Short of shattering both limbs and snapping the string, its really a non issue.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson
17 February 2015, 20:03
Biebs
Rich, Shane is looking at my Bowtech RPM 360...you'd better keep up with the Jones! :-)

PS: I have a Prime G5 for ya...that'll work.
19 February 2015, 06:55
Idaho Sharpshooter
I ain't worried about Shane, he only shoots a 24" arrow. moon

I'd need a 30.5" draw, that's part of the problem. The new killer Mathews NOCAM only goes to 30". I'd end up fiddling with the loop and other things to get my wall out half an inch or so. From here it is starting to look like the Chill-X or the new Bowtech.

Is it just me, or do you find the IBO method (If memory serves me correctly) the bow companies use for speed ratings ludicrous?

For the newer guys, the speed measurement they quote you, iirc, on new bows is:

1. @74lbs draw weight
2. 31" draw length, which is not even available on most of the bows sold today
3. No fletch on the arrow.

I really like the Monster WAKE, but the notion of $1699 retail for a bow just kills me.
19 February 2015, 19:11
npd345
Never in doubt but seldom right.........

IBO speed is measured at 70Lbs at a 30" draw with a 350 grain arrow
This is the faster of the two speeds you see advertised

AMO is 30" draw at 60lbs and a 540 grain arrow.

And I shoot a 28" arrow

bsflag
UOTE]Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
I ain't worried about Shane, he only shoots a 24" arrow. moon

I'd need a 30.5" draw, that's part of the problem. The new killer Mathews NOCAM only goes to 30". I'd end up fiddling with the loop and other things to get my wall out half an inch or so. From here it is starting to look like the Chill-X or the new Bowtech.

Is it just me, or do you find the IBO method (If memory serves me correctly) the bow companies use for speed ratings ludicrous?

For the newer guys, the speed measurement they quote you, iirc, on new bows is:

1. @74lbs draw weight
2. 31" draw length, which is not even available on most of the bows sold today
3. No fletch on the arrow.

I really like the Monster WAKE, but the notion of $1699 retail for a bow just kills me.[/QUOTE]
19 February 2015, 20:51
African Barefoot Safaris
Uncle Richie,
Go and have a look at the new Bowtech Boss!! You will be able to get it to 30,5 inhes and even more if needed! Have the mods in the cams that you can play with, set the draw smoother for practising or more aggressive for if you want more speed!!

Reon van Tonder
Outfitter and PH
African Barefoot Safaris
africanbarefootsafaris@gmail.com
19 February 2015, 22:00
npd345
You can get the Matthews Z9 in a 32" draw and their "no cam" series of bows up to 33".

They are also available in a draw weight of 40 lbs so you could shoot it Big Grin
20 February 2015, 00:52
Idaho Sharpshooter
the IBO specs. They changed on me, again.

I spoke with a tech guy at Mathews this morning. 70lbs, 31" draw, and a 350 grain arrow.

My shoulder (rotator cuff surgery) is coming back.

This how old I am, I still shoot a Hoyt Alpha Tec target bow.

The NO Cam HTR (hunting bows) only go to 30". The TRG (target bows) does go to a 33", with a brace height of 7-9".

Archery Central is setting me up a No Cam HTR to try out. 60lbs and 30" draw.

ISS
20 February 2015, 03:10
Biebs
Knuckle dragger :-) Does anyone make a 35 lb bow with a 32" draw length???
20 February 2015, 07:25
Jon Beutler
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Knuckle dragger :-) Does anyone make a 35 lb bow with a 32" draw length???

yuck
20 February 2015, 08:21
npd345
IBO has always been the same; 70lb/350gr arrow/30"draw

Might want to talk to someone different at Matthews because that is not correct. Tough for them to IBO bow hey sell that can't even make that draw.

I was working at the local Archery store when the industry came up with IBO speed as it was more representative as to what the 3D shooters were doing; lighter arrow for more speed and decided 5 grains per pound was "safe".

We were doing a lot of "unauthorized" experimenting with the Hoyts and Power Mags/Clearwater bows at the time trying to get the most speed out of them. The factories were supplying the parts to let us do what they were not allowed to do at the factory!

quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
the IBO specs. They changed on me, again.

I spoke with a tech guy at Mathews this morning. 70lbs, 31" draw, and a 350 grain arrow.

My shoulder (rotator cuff surgery) is coming back.

This how old I am, I still shoot a Hoyt Alpha Tec target bow.

The NO Cam HTR (hunting bows) only go to 30". The TRG (target bows) does go to a 33", with a brace height of 7-9".

Archery Central is setting me up a No Cam HTR to try out. 60lbs and 30" draw.

ISS

24 February 2015, 01:56
bo-n-aro
I was ready to buy a new Mathews No Cam, for $1200, when I "woke-up"!! I now shoot a fist model Switch Back around 65 pounds. I simply love this bow, but want to start shooting in the mid 50's, to give my old shoulder some relief.
After looking at the No Cam, I decided to first look for a used 50/60 lb Switch Back. I found one, that was a guys back up bow and had been shot very little. Best thing about it was I got it for $390!!
25 February 2015, 03:15
Idaho Sharpshooter
Wah! Here the NO-CAM is $1099. Unless you want the two "tactical" paint versions. Then add $150. I guess that doesn't look too bad, compared to the Mathews 2015 catalog that shows the new Monster Wake (gloss black only) for $1699.

I hear what you are saying about the shoulder. I've had two rotator cuff surgeries on the right shoulder. Different muscle group each time.
25 February 2015, 07:27
Doublegun
I'll stick with my 50# Drenalin LD and my Sky recurve. The older I get the more I enjoy shooting my recurve.
27 February 2015, 06:30
Idaho Sharpshooter
understood, there are times when I really miss my old Howard Hill longbow.

This is how old I am, when I was a freshman in HS I used to ride the trolley (15-cents) over to St Louis, get a nickel transfer, and end up at Earl Hoyt's shop in the county. I had one of his 6PM's, big handled recurve.

I caved in about an hour ago. The nephew had an appt at the VAMC and stopped by (dinner mooch) on the way home. We got his Monster Seven at the bow shop, and he got his 20yd pin reset.

My friend, the owner, made me a screaming deal on a Monster Wake. He could get one to have as a demo bow and just send it back at season's end if he did not sell it.
If he sold Bowtech, I might have gotten the 360, but I like the two mile drive better than the 20+ to Boise.

Sorry Reon,

Rich
27 February 2015, 09:13
African Barefoot Safaris
Don't be sorry be CAREFULL!!

Reon van Tonder
Outfitter and PH
African Barefoot Safaris
africanbarefootsafaris@gmail.com
27 February 2015, 09:53
npd345
I didn't think you get one in low enough draw weight for you to shoot with your shoulder problems.....
27 February 2015, 21:17
Ifly
They keep going the compounds will cost as much as a recure. I got a custom recurve on order that's over $2000.
28 February 2015, 02:41
Peter
OK, educate me please. I thought that cams (ie. 2) were all the rage. I shoot a Matthews Switchback which I bought used, at the correct draw for me (27") and LOVE the bow. Drop away arrow rest. I had it set at 65# but just dropped to to 57#. I have the 3 pins set at 20, 35 and 50 yards and have no desire to shoot any further distances.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;
02 March 2015, 09:37
Idaho Sharpshooter
the good news about the Wake at 70max, is it can be set down about ten pounds or a bit more.

I can work into it slowly.

I'm shooting the old AT at 56 now, a dozen arrows a day, three days a week. When it's comfortable 20 a day three days a week, I can start the Wake at 60.

The 85% let-off is the key.

Rich
03 March 2015, 04:48
Biebs
quote:
The 85% let-off is the key.

Rich

Rich, you're 85? :-)
03 March 2015, 10:14
npd345
No he only looks 85 dancing
04 March 2015, 02:02
df06
You are not kidding about bow prices. And then by the time you get a rest/quiver etc, you cane easily drop another $2-400.

I have a back up bow, a three year olf Mathews Drenalin LD, and my main bow is a Hoyt, Faktor 34.
These two will last me three or more years yet.

NRA Patron member
04 March 2015, 09:26
Idaho Sharpshooter
If I were a 50-something year old pup, I'd show a little respect for my elders.

The Wake is somewhere between Sparta, WI and here on Brown.

More sticker shock: priced A/C/C's lately?
04 March 2015, 09:54
npd345
much much elder at that dancing
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
If I were a 50-something year old pup, I'd show a little respect for my elders.

The Wake is somewhere between Sparta, WI and here on Brown.

More sticker shock: priced A/C/C's lately?

11 March 2015, 01:58
Biebs
Shane, I found an updated photo :-)

11 March 2015, 06:37
Idaho Sharpshooter
with friends like the two of you...
11 March 2015, 07:41
npd345
if it were not for the two teeth in that mouth it would be the perfect picture of him without his fake teeth in! rotflmo

That guy has way more teeth than Rich! dancing
24 March 2015, 07:48
new_guy
I've been a HOYT man since @1985, so I can't imagine (with all due respect) what Matthews could produce for 1600. I just ordered a new Nitrum Turbo for 899.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947
24 March 2015, 11:24
Idaho Sharpshooter
Monster Wake model. NPD was too, until he got a smoking deal on a new Bowtech RPM 360 (as in fps).

I switched to Mathews when the Monster Seven came out several years ago.

I'm so cheap, I am still shooting a Hoyt AlphaTec target bow. For a couple more months anyway. I got to shoot one of the new Mathews NoCam TRG target models at my local shop. It is the quietest, smoothest bow I have ever shot.
26 March 2015, 05:14
OLBIKER
I suppose the buck I killed last year with my MQ-1 would be pissed if he knew!!
26 March 2015, 10:39
Idaho Sharpshooter
probably died a horrible death. The shame alone would have killed him...
27 March 2015, 08:04
lavaca
And still, my old Matthews FX (some of you might remember that model) was ample, and while it might not be quite as fast, might have a bit harder wall, it seems to get the job done.
27 March 2015, 08:11
Idaho Sharpshooter
gentlemen,

I'm not too modern. I's still shooting my Hoyt Alpha Tec on the indoor range.