New
Find
Notify
Tools

Backstop for Crossbow?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just ordered a Barnett ghost 375 crossbow. When I get it, I obviously have to sight it in. Can I use small sq hay bales to stop the bolts? Any other suggestions would be appreciated. TIA.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lost okie
posted Hide Post
Gato;
The hay only ate all my fletching on my old weak ass antique browning.
The foam blocks loose on the ground or swinging free can roll with the punch; even with broadheads. Much better.
2 cents from across the river.

Posts: 350 | Location: oklahoma | Registered: 01 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gato, you'll definitely loose arrows in hay. Too fast, and too short of arrow, it'll disappear into any bale. I use 'The Block', just a square foam target and it works well.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1168 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a Cabela's Outfitter Mag crossbow target. Bolts penetrate less than 8" at 10 yards but my bow is 320 fps and yours is 375 fps. I also made a portable target to unload at the end of a hunting day. Put a lid on a 5 gal pail. Cut a large hole in the lid. Take the ring off and stuff an old quilt or sleeping bag in the pail. From the feed store get a large empty bag made of cross woven plastic. Stretch across pail and put the ring back on to hold it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing beats a pile of sand.

Posts: 734 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
pigs Big Grin archer

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gatogordo,

I used a target with foam and thought it would stop my new Barnett crossbow bolts - WRONG..! They went in so deep, I didn't think I would ever get them out!

So, I bought a new 'Rinehart X-Bow Bag 18"' and it works great. The bolts go in just enough to pull them out VERY easily. (I think mine is 345fps?)

Just my solution. Enjoy your new crossbow!

Brittman

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Britt: What kind of foam did you use? There is a big difference between Styrofoam and high density foam. Another good filler is to take used plastic wrap from pallets and stuff into the bag. It stops bolts just fine once it is compressed and confined.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
bobmn,

For my compound bow, I use a Morrell YelloeJacket model. It is made with black closed cell foam plus extra plastics. I can shoot broadheads into it, but NO good for even field points from my crossbow!

Thus, the new Rinehart X-Bow Bag. Great...!

Brittman

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Block for sure....stops 'em dead even at 20 yards.

Gary

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GarBy,

Thanks for the tip. I'll check them out soon.

Brittman

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a stall mat intended for my horse barn hanging from a tree limb with feed bag stuffed full of rags sitting in front of it. Bolts from my Ravin @425 fps rarely get thru bag an if they do the mat stops them....usual they bounce off the mat. If I miss the feed bag the mat stops them. For BH practice I shoot into sand.

Posts: 734 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Just bought a Morrell High Roller target for my 400 FPS Ravin.

http://www.lancasterarchery.co...21-combo-target.html

Works great!

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1695 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote