THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    Re: Deer Hunting Luck,...so far

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Deer Hunting Luck,...so far
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Swede44: I quit bow hunting for quite awhile because people stole all my stands. At least that guy just borrowed yours.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Plinker, I shot my second deer yesterday. A big fat doe. Time now to rake leaves and cut grass.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
A few years ago my friend and I was attaching a tree stand a few days before season and we seen a very nice large buck with a huge rack (kind of like the one that got away story), but I sat in that dam tree stand for a week and didn't see anything. The last day I got there just at sunrise and another guy was sitting in my tree stand (public hunting area) so we went walking. We pushed up a nice buck and never got a shot within a few minutes I heard a loud bang and guess what the guy that was in my tree stand shot a nice 16 point buck that we had pushed to him. He shot it with a BAR 7mag at 20ft. He had it gutted and had the heart in his pocket it looked like he had rolled around inside the chest cavity the idiot was bloody every ware but he was sure proud. I have tried for years to stick one with an arrow but never got a shot. Since I have messed up my back and cant draw a bow anymore. Maybe I will get a crossbow and give it a try again.

Anyone got a recipe for antler stew, I have ate humble pie to many times.

If you can keep the other guy out of your tree stand and have a lot of patience you will get one. Hang in there and the best of luck.

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am glad I live where I do. No problems losing stands. I did take one down from my neighbors property last season because the guy had no permission to hunt there. I took it to the guys house and returned it. Real hunters do not steal things! Too bad we have to put up with some bad apples but they are in every sport and in every dark corner.
The worst state was PA where your deer would be stolen if you didn't tie it to your body and watch it every minute. It's strange because I would give the deer to whoever asked nicely. I used to tie a string to the deers leg, snake it into the tent under the leaves and tie it to a pile of pots, pans and silverware. I can't tell you how many times I was wakened by a crash to hear footsteps running away. Great fun to set up an alarm system.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Swede44: I quit bow hunting for quite awhile because people stole all my stands. At least that guy just borrowed yours.

Let me tell you the rest of the story. The next year I went out the last day of rifle season early so I could get up in my tree stand. This is a lot earlier than I usually get there about two hours before sunrise I had to use a frilling flashlight it was so dark. I had trouble finding it I could hear the deer running through the trees, and when I found my stand a different guy was sitting in it again. He had his bag phone with him a lunch box and was munching chips and drinking coffee. I leaned against a tree nearby and waited for the jerk to get out of my tree stand. I stood he sat there until about one hour after the sun had risen, he stood up took a piss climbed down and took a crap at the base of the tree coughed several times and walked off whistling. I was at the boiling point so I started walking trying to get over being so aggravated. I did not see any deer that day and went home. This ah**e was the rudest jerk I ever had frilling met while hunting.

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh, I get so tired of cutting them up! I am waiting for a friend to come over and I will go out with him. Think the osage longbow will go this time. Wood arrows too.
Do you have a hex I can use on trees? Got up this morning and the yard is full of leaves again. At least I got the grass cut.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Plinker
Whole lot more huntin sites than skindiving sites in WV!

Can't swim a lick, actually.

Saw three does today, but i just barely moved my bow and they panicked. They headed back in the direction they came from butthey stopped and when one turned sideways, i took a shot. It was too far of a shot for me, though. About 45 yards, and the arrow arched so much it hit an overhead branch.

I think maybe they looked up from beneath the grated platform and saw my feet move.

Plinker

Posts: 1522 | Location: WV | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
Not a whole lot of luck here either!

Arrowed him at 10 yards the second morning.

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No luck for the buck, huh? Nice job, NB!

Plinker

one of us
posted Hide Post
Plinker--Undrew? Think that would be let-off and if you shot it would be released? What the hell,we know what you did..

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Oh, I get so tired of cutting them up! I am waiting for a friend to come over and I will go out with him. Think the osage longbow will go this time. Wood arrows too.
Do you have a hex I can use on trees? Got up this morning and the yard is full of leaves again. At least I got the grass cut.

BRFShooter, Rake the leaves and you still have to figure out what to do with them. Leafblowers are good only for cleaning them off the driveway. Use your mower to mulch up the leaves and they will literally disappear. Here, the leaves have now fallen off the trees. My well hidden deerstands are now starkly profiled against barren tree trunks....

So i decided to switch to ground blinds. Made one yesterday from 4 metal fence posts and attached camo material on three sides and then piled brush against it so there was no solid lines. The open end faces a major deer trail high on a hill and gives me opportunity to look down instead of them looking down from high area right into my stand.

Nice and cozy, too. I was sitting in there yesterday evening with high wind blowing in my face and watching and expecting deer to come from the right on their way off the hill. Saw squirrel run like H@#l up a tree. Shortly after that a little buck head came into view. Twelve feet away, it had its head low peering up through openings in the branches at me. I glimpsed its head/ear area and saw it had spikes, then accidently met its eyes. I quickly averted my eyes, and was hoping it would advance into the open However, it turned and walked up behind the blind (they never go along with my plan). I didn't stand up and try to shoot over the back edge or anything, because that would have been impossible due to the piled up brush. At least it didn't seem scared, it just casually walked away. So, maybe some other time. If i could stay out of there a week, they might all take a look in there, get used to it.

I don't think i can wait a week, though. They can have a day to get used to it, because this being Sunday, our county doesn't allow Sunday hunting. Don't have an open turkey season, either.

Plinker

one of us
posted Hide Post
I moved my climber to the top of the hill overlooking a grassy area that is flanked by woods and brush. Most of the trees are either too small for a stand or too large. The one i chose was about 9 inch across but got considerably smaller on the way up, which made it seem pretty skimpy when the wind blew. But i took it up about 25 feet. Maybe only 20 feet... it was high though.

As it was getting along towards dark i heard some noise over to one side and looked over there and saw one deer. I could have drew as it had its hindquarters toward me, but there was too much brush in front of it. It moved until all i could see was its head down near the ground. It kept moving its head and i wondered what in the world it could be finding to eat in those sticks. Then i realized it must be a buck making one of those rubs. Its head just kept moving and i was getting impatient with it. It finally got too dark to see for sure if it was there. I got out the grunt call and blew on it a couple of times. I've never used one before so i figured it would scare it off but it didn't seem to pay any attention to it one way or another. Finally it moved and i could see it's butt and its tail was sticking straight out from its body. I don't know what that means in deer body language, but i suspect it might have been defecating, the light was too dim to tell.

It walked off through heavier brush and i kept looking for other ones or for it to emerge somewhere. It finally walked into the open where the light was better, but it stepped behind two large trees. I drew the bow while it took its good old time behind the trees. The end of the bow was resting against my knee and that helped somewhat to hold the draw. It came into view and i lined up with my 40 yard pin and let the arrow fly. Heard the arrow crash in the grass. I think because the bottom was against my knee it made the bow twist down. Then it ran off, but it didn't seem that scared. It ran in the direction where my husband was. He said he heard it blowing and it wouldn't come within range. It had been down wind of me all the time it was making the rub, but i was up high and the scent must have carried over. So i don't think it figured out where the arrow came from (or rather the noise in the grass) so that stand location might still be good tomorrow.

Maybe i shouldn't have taken the shot being inexperienced and all, but i make 40 yard shots all the time. Typical at 40 yards would be 8 arrows: 2 would be in the 2" circle, 3 in the 4" circle, two would be barely outside or touching the 4" circle and one would be out a couple inches. That's well within the paper plate guideline. But for sure, real hunting is different.

plinker

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I am thinking very seriously of switching to a Whisker Biscuit just because at the most inoportune times that danged arrow likes to go AWOL! derf

I switched to a whisker biscuit two years ago.... Best thing I ever did.. No more arrows falling off rests and clacking on the riser... arrow doesn't move no matter what your position. One thing though, they take some time to tune correctly, be sure you have a knowledgable "archery guy" to help you. Mine is pretty well tuned, but beyond 25 yards, arrow flight becomes erratic and I won't shoot beyond 20 yards because of it... But, where I hunt, 20 yards is a long shot!

Posts: 1957 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote