Find
Notify
Tools

Muzzy Doe kill this a.m.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted
Shot a Doe this morning at about 755am. My brother was in another spot, didn't see anything. Shot was 23 yards with the Mathews/goldtip/muzzy combo. There were two with her, which I assume were her fawns from this year, even though they were almost her size.

Strangely, when we were taking pictures of her where she fell, and when I began to gut her, her 2 fawns showed up to watch. The button buck got within 7 yards, so my brother took his picture. The doe fawn was not far behind him.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of Big-Ed
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

Backstraps, mmmmmmm!

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Posts: 269 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 07 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
That looks like some good eats!

I've had an entire herd of older does and fawns come back to check on the missing doe. Arrows just don't spook 'em much.

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you've got some more delicious meat. You having some more of that cheese sausage made out of her?

I've never tried it. The local guy I use makes some darn fine smoked links. Last year I also had some bacon burger made which is pretty good too.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Since we are allowed roughly 7 deer in Ohio, I had this doe ENTIRELY ground up, yes, even the straps/loins but they are to be packaged separately. This is per my wife's request. She makes a 'meatloaf' type dinner with the ground straps that is DElicious.

I hunt in KY also, which ML season is this coming weekend and in Grant County, Doe tags are unlimited.

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Doc,

Where do you take 'em? I've been doing them myself, and I'd like to get it done by a pro, if it's cheap and close.

Don_G

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Chop Shop, not too close but they do a great job:

513-353-DEER (3337)

If you already have it skinned, there is a meat market right down from my office on 42 that used to be called Ron's market. It is now under new management/ownership but I can ask if they'll still do it. They are VERY convenient if you don't mind skinnin.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here in the UK, we are often shooting does/hinds and calves/kids just for management culls. If I am looking at a adult female with this years young still following her, I always try to neck or head shoot her so she falls where I can see her. Within 20 mins at most, the followers will be back. Works best with deer species that don"t herd up(like Roe), as herd species move off, the young will go with them if they can"t see the mother.
If you can still legally shoot another deer, It"s always best to let them lie for 20 mins or so, as not only will it give others a chance to return, but I never show myself to the survivers as it just educates them for next time!
congratulations on your deer, I know I get mine a lot easier with a rifle!
good shooting

Posts: 669 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
We can legally kill 2/day, however, first must be tagged with temporary tag before shooting the next animal.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Easy, just tie the tag to the arrow! Wink

Posts: 669 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brass thief:
Easy, just tie the tag to the arrow! Wink
thumb

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Doesn't work if the arrow goes whizzing through them... homer

Don_G

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

Life's Tough....God's Good....Pray Hard!

Posts: 40 | Location: NC | Registered: 16 October 2006Reply With Quote