Notify
Tools

Bowhunting the African Way
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of editor-ant
posted
Greetings All

I have not posted here before, and am not sure if this should be in some commercial segment of the Forum (I am sure a moderator will move it if needs be), but wanted to share details with you all of a new publication we have available.

Over the last couple of years, we have been compiling short, but interesting books from previously published material in the African Hunter magazine. We have so much good content that it seems a shame to let it gather dust once published, hence the new series we are working on.

“Bowhunting the African Way” is compiled from more than 20 years of published material from the African Hunter magazine, giving the reader or would-be bowhunter an in depth appreciation of bowhunting the Dark Continent. Augmented with personal hunt reports, technical overviews and 20 anatomical shot placement diagrams (taken from our Pocket Shot Placement Guide), this work is a must for those first time African Bowhunters, and those for whom Africa is already home. The book is not overly bogged down with technical material as this is evolving all the time, but does trace some recent history of the sport here and deals with the realities of hunting in Africa.

Available through Amazon as a download, or as a print-on-demand book, it will be printed in either the USA or Europe and shipped timorously. If anyone’s interested, this link will take you to the preview and details - http://www.africanhunteronline...duct-bowhunting/cdfu - which offers a secure on-line payment platform too.

Thanks for your time.

Ant Williams

African Hunter Magazine African Fisherman Magazine

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ant, not trying to rain on the parade here, but how much of the book is devoted to spot and stalk vs. sitting in a nice blind by the only (artificial) water hole for miles around? This is really my only hangup about bowhunting in Africa. I have a bunch of Africa bowhunting videos and they are about as exciting as the shooting-whitetails-from-a-tree-stand cliche here in the States.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of editor-ant
posted Hide Post
Hi Bill

Thanks for the comment. Unfortunately, as you point out, much of the bowhunting in Africa is from some form of blind - usually a pit blind rather than tree stands. We have tried to give balanced perspective with the narrative, including stories and details on both blind and walk and stalk techniques. The idea of the book was to give an overview of African conditions with quite a bit of ancillary information for the reader’s enjoyment. Topics such as discussing comparisons between bow and rifle on game, just how tough African game is, debate on whether bows should be used on dangerous game at all, articles of stalk elephant and buffalo hunting conducted by people like Pete Shepley of PSC Bows and so on. Really, we tried to make the book educational, thought provoking and still entertaining. One of my favorite chapters is one I wrote after a bow hunt on the Luangwa River in Zambia for crocodiles. This was with Piet Bothma of Sable Safaris - one very knowledgeable guy - and recorded his trial and error development of techniques, which while peculiar to crocs, follows a pattern of development one can apply to myriad of bowhunting challenges and problems. I do feel it is a worthwhile read and will give a broad overview of the Dark Continent.

In truth, today’s instant gratification world often determines the path people take. But I do believe knowing a bit more about the demands of the various bow hunting methods here, will give prospective African hunters a better understanding when deciding on a safari and where/how to hunt. At the least, I hope it is just a good read.

Bill, have you bow hunted in Africa much? I hear your distaste for blind siting but would like to know more.

Ant Williams

African Hunter Magazine African Fisherman Magazine

One of Us
Picture of Biddleman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Ant, not trying to rain on the parade here, but how much of the book is devoted to spot and stalk vs. sitting in a nice blind by the only (artificial) water hole for miles around? This is really my only hangup about bowhunting in Africa. I have a bunch of Africa bowhunting videos and they are about as exciting as the shooting-whitetails-from-a-tree-stand cliche here in the States.

I get where you're coming from Bill, but how is sitting in a blind at a water hole with a bow different than sitting in a blind with a rifle waiting for a cat to hit the "bait" that was hung? Many times with the area being pre- baited.

Posts: 134 | Location: Wrightsville, PA | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Water hole bowhunting is one of the oldest form of hunting on earth

Posts: 41 | Location: oregon | Registered: 11 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They have artificial everything nowdays, even artificial water! shocker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ant,

Your website won't accept either of my two credit cards. I'd like to subscribe to both magazines but can't. Any ideas? Can I mail you a check?

Posts: 9954 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote