Find
Notify
Tools

Opinion on this blind
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted
Hi, browsing around trough Cabelas and stumbled upon this.
What are your thoughts.

Blind info

I dont have a lot of bowhunters coming in at the moment and also do not have any proper bowhunting concessions (Permanent blinds etc.) but how about using these for non permanent blinds and maybe just add a personal touch like branches and other stuff to it on a strategic point.

As anyone used this blind as well ?
Your thoughts please before I buy a couple of them.

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These pop up blinds work very well. In the absence of permanent blinds they are an ideal option. The camo pattern might not be ideal for SA but as you have already said, you would do a little additional camo with local vegetation and that would certainly suffice. Being on the Limpopo, it also tends to be a lot "browner."

The most important is where you locate in relation to your games movement. Also, once up and camo'ed, give it a quite few days for the game to get used to it. It is important that bowhunters do not compromise the blind once up and this you should explain to them.

one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Thanx Soroko,

Yes I'm not going to think that the blind will work from day one. I will give a two days or so to settle. Although we have had success before building a makeshift blind inside a bush and getting animals close in the afternoon.

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SH- Consider the Double Bull Company for your portables. The hub constrution is the best in the industry. We leave several out for 120 days each year. No worries. I don't know of another product that approaches their quality. I beleive that hub may be patented in the US.

Posts: 1335 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Crane,

I had a look at them but for the hell of me the price just scared me off $399 excluding the 40% shipping on top of that that I have to pay for that I can build myself a damn fine permanent blind/hide.

I must say they really look nice but just too expensive. I ordered 4 of the T200's with shipping for $335.00 US
But lets see what happens maybe they work maybe they dont but for the price it isn't too bad and I will have a couple of uses for them as well including problem animals in the farm fields with feeders. dancing clap thumb

Frederik Cocquyt

one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
I think you will find that they are too small to draw your bow in. I am only 5'8" with a 28" draw and can only draw a bow with great difficulty. I purchased a larger blind with a hub system, it works much better for me. Cabela's sells them, Escape Deluxe is the name. Only downside is the material is 600 denier, very heavy stuff !!!

Elite Archery and High Country dealer.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree that they are a bit small for a person to draw back a bow. I have brought over blinds to SA for my outfitter the last two times. I would suggest taking a look at ameristep www.ameristep.com

I have brought them over they are quite good for the price. If you have the money, you can't beat the double bull.

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 781 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive had 2 of these for 2 years. So far so good. I did pull the rods out of the hub tubes and glue them in with gorilla glue.
http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=321445

Posts: 497 | Location: San Antonio , Texas USA | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Hutty,

Please explain how the hide is too small if it is 68" by 68" big inside ?
We will be shooting from a sitting position. Or I can make a hole that the hide sits over as well to make it taller.

Frederik Cocquyt

one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Safari-Hunt:
Hutty,

Please explain how the hide is too small if it is 68" by 68" big inside ?
We will be shooting from a sitting position. Or I can make a hole that the hide sits over as well to make it taller.

The dimensions are at the widest spots. In other words to the hub on top from the ground. The sides taper up and in. If you like them , try them, that's the only way to find out for sure.

This is what I bought and so far I'm very happy with it. It's huge inside !! http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link....dmax+blind&noImage=0

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
bowhuntrrl,

That is exactly why I thought 68" by 68" square would be enough I know it's not high enough to stand and shoot.

Like the add says "T-200 - 68"L x 68"W x 68"H"
or am I reading the sizes totally wrong. When it arrives I will look and test if I can comfortably fit two chairs inside.

Well any case I will write a report or review about it when we use it from the 8th-28th June.

Frederik Cocquyt

One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
These blinds are essentially the same dimensions as the Doghouse TSC by Ameristep. They are big enough to draw a bow in but just barely for me.

Word of advice. The metal stakes you get with the blind are essentially worthless for sets any longer than one day. Trust me on this one. A good wind and you'll be looking for that blind. One of these blinds being carried by the wind are somehow magnetically attracted to thorns. Get some full size heavy duty nylon tent stakes and pound them in deep with a mallet.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
TheBigGuy,

Thanks for the advice I will go out and buy some proper stakes and nylon as soon as they arive and I can check how many stakes and how long the nylon.

Frederik Cocquyt

One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
TheBigGuy,

Thanks for the advice I will go out and buy some proper stakes and nylon as soon as they arive and I can check how many stakes and how long the nylon.

One for each corner and one for each tie down is plenty. That's eight stakes a blind. You will be glad you did this.

Two people can sit comfortably in these but mind the handedness of the shooter. Position yourselves inside the blind accordingly. And make sure the shooter does some practice draws before settling in. Having game right in front of you is no time to "adjust" a chair.

I've done quite a bit of hunting out of these things. Snakes and spiders love them. Enter them in the morning with care. Piling dirt around the skirt of the blind helps keep the snakes out but I've found spiders are far more determined finding a way in. Fold up chairs without armrests are very comfortable for long sits. Leaving any kind of food in these overnight is a surefire way to get them shredded. Don't let folks do this. No exceptions.

If you have any questions please ask on this thread or PM me. I'm happy to help.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry it took so long to reply. The size while good may be a bit tight for two people with chairs. As long as the person is comfortable shooting from a chair you should be ok. Many times I perfer to kneel down on one knee and draw back.

I second the posts about getting some real stakes and tying the thing down in a proper manner, without them you just bought an expensice kite.

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 781 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Hutty and the rest thanx to all for your comments UPS is gong to deliver my package anyday now hopefully today. Then I can set it up and see what will work best.

Frederik Cocquyt

one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Ok received the hides yesterday.
A bit smaller than I anticipated fitting a PH and a clinet no problem as long as the chairs are not big. shooting in a kneeling position would be the best !

It will be a squeeze for me the Big Viking "CCHunter" and a camera but now space for tripod. Otherwise if used for leopard, caracal and jackal it should work 100%.

I'm thinking of raising the blind a bit by hopefully getting two layers of loose bricks for the bottom. Then roping the hide down. Or digging a square that the hide will fit over 6-10" deep. So it will be semi fixed but then again it will be out there for 18 days staight.

Frederik Cocquyt

One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
Digging a hole is the easiest thing but two things you need to be aware of. First, they will collect water, probably not an issue there but know any rain will leave you with a mess inside. And last digging a hole seems to make these things very very attractive to anything that likes holes. Snakes especially seem attracted.

IMO, slightly elevated is a better option.

one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
TheBigGuy,

Thanx, Rain no sweat the chances are extremely slim and snakes are very few and far in between when this cold. This winter feesl especialy colder than normal. Anyway before we enter blinds I always double check if there isnt anything nasty inside.

But well see how it works out.

Frederik Cocquyt

one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
I knew that they would be small for you, been there, done that !!! Seriously, take a look at this blind, it's what I'm currently using. I actually think they are built better than a Double Bull, the material is certainly heavier being 600 denier thickness !!! This blind is huge inside. Here's a link, http://www.groundmax.com/hunting_blinds/escape_deluxe.php

Take a serious look at them, maybe even try one. I don't think you'll be sorry.

One of Us
Picture of Unit5A
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bowhuntrrl:
I knew that they would be small for you, been there, done that !!! Seriously, take a look at this blind, it's what I'm currently using. I actually think they are built better than a Double Bull, the material is certainly heavier being 600 denier thickness !!! This blind is huge inside. Here's a link, http://www.groundmax.com/hunting_blinds/escape_deluxe.php

Well, you may have me convinced. I noted on both your links that the blind with the same name (escape deluxe) appears to have two different sizes? The one on the Groundmax website is actually larger than that referenced at Cabela's etc. ($50 more too)
I've never used a blind before (except natural) and have been agonizing over why most people say get the Double Bull or you'll be sorry etc. It cost more than my big old family tent!
What is it that you don't like about this blind if you were to improve it? Thanks.

"Hunt smart, know your target and beyond"

Posts: 394 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 20 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Just got back from a week away next to a dam fishing not hunitng and used one of the blinds as a kitchen to see how it would hold up.

In serious winds I think it would tear but luckiliy we dont have too bad winds.
It looks like it could be used to bowhunt with two people inside if positioned properly but then with opening a 8" gap in the window and not using the shooting window itself.

Will have to wear good camo or very dark clothes inside the blind and especilly have to make a plan about your face.

But otherwise for the price very usable and would definetely work.

Frederik Cocquyt

One of Us
Picture of Unit5A
posted Hide Post
I've read numerous recommendations that one should wear black inside of those type blinds if possible. Maybe a long sleeved black T-shirt and black hat would do? Then a net or paint/charcoal for the face....?
I wish I knew a store or someplace that had a display of some of the different kinds set-up to see for myself. Oh well......
Good luck with it.

one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
Same blind Cabela's and website, just a different method of measuring. I bought mine from Cabela's, $149 if I remember correctly. Only problem with it is the weight, it sure isn't light !!! Other than that, I don't really have any problems with it. You do need to be careful when setting it up though. I was hurrying and got one heck of a blood blister from getting pinched by the hub. The frame is steel cable inside metal tubes. Other thing is, Cabela's is so good that if you don't like it send it back. On top of that, there are always discount coupons floating around the internet for Cabela's.

quote:
Originally posted by Unit5A:
quote:

Well, you may have me convinced. I noted on both your links that the blind with the same name (escape deluxe) appears to have two different sizes? The one on the Groundmax website is actually larger than that referenced at Cabela's etc. ($50 more too)
I've never used a blind before (except natural) and have been agonizing over why most people say get the Double Bull or you'll be sorry etc. It cost more than my big old family tent!
What is it that you don't like about this blind if you were to improve it? Thanks.

One of Us
Picture of Unit5A
posted Hide Post
quote:
Same blind Cabela's and website, just a different method of measuring. I bought mine from Cabela's, $149 if I remember correctly. Only problem with it is the weight, it sure isn't light !!! Other than that, I don't really have any problems with it. You do need to be careful when setting it up though. I was hurrying and got one heck of a blood blister from getting pinched by the hub. The frame is steel cable inside metal tubes. Other thing is, Cabela's is so good that if you don't like it send it back. On top of that, there are always discount coupons floating around the internet for Cabela's.

quote:
quote:

bowhuntrrl-
Are you sure? I don't mean to doubt you, but I looked at the diagram for measurements, and it appears that the 77" is across on the GroundMax website; as well as being two pounds lighter in weight than that listed on Cabela's....
Cabela's says 63"x75" (unsure of model#) and 17lbs, while Groundmax(GB3000) is 77"x75" and 15lbs? I thought the 77" might be corner to corner when I saw your post, but the diagram is across from hub to hub. The only thing I can think of is they are cheating(?) a bit on measurement by the expansion from there sticking out each side? I don't know about the weight difference though unless a typo.
If the same, I'm about to kick myself in the rear, because I had a 25 dollar off internet coupon for Cabela's that just expired.....argh!
Thanks for the tip on weight, but for this one I'm not too concerned, and won't be hauling it far from my truck. If it turned out I liked the concept, I might get another (smaller) with room for just me, and lighter to carry in further. This first one to try out I was interested in having room for my son in there as well...I hope?
Take care.

one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
Positive on this !! I also noticed the difference in size and before I ordered from Cabelas, I called Groundmax and Cabela's to ask about the difference. They confirmed that this is the same blind (check the model number). Cabela's has been known to publish wrong specs before. Groundmax said they don't make any special models for Cabela's and that they were the same. Call Groundmax and check yourself if you have concerns.

quote:
quote:

quote:
quote:

bowhuntrrl-
Are you sure? I don't mean to doubt you, but I looked at the diagram for measurements, and it appears that the 77" is across on the GroundMax website; as well as being two pounds lighter in weight than that listed on Cabela's....
Cabela's says 63"x75" (unsure of model#) and 17lbs, while Groundmax(GB3000) is 77"x75" and 15lbs? I thought the 77" might be corner to corner when I saw your post, but the diagram is across from hub to hub. The only thing I can think of is they are cheating(?) a bit on measurement by the expansion from there sticking out each side? I don't know about the weight difference though unless a typo.
If the same, I'm about to kick myself in the rear, because I had a 25 dollar off internet coupon for Cabela's that just expired.....argh!
Thanks for the tip on weight, but for this one I'm not too concerned, and won't be hauling it far from my truck. If it turned out I liked the concept, I might get another (smaller) with room for just me, and lighter to carry in further. This first one to try out I was interested in having room for my son in there as well...I hope?
Take care.

One of Us
Picture of Unit5A
posted Hide Post
quote:
Positive on this !! I also noticed the difference in size and before I ordered from Cabelas, I called Groundmax and Cabela's to ask about the difference. They confirmed that this is the same blind (check the model number). Cabela's has been known to publish wrong specs before. Groundmax said they don't make any special models for Cabela's and that they were the same. Call Groundmax and check yourself if you have concerns.

quote:
quote:

quote:
quote:

bowhuntrrl-
Take care.

Thanks. I guess I'll sit on my hands for a while and see if Cabela's sends me another coupon. Dang! Hey, $25 bucks is $25 bucks, ha ha. It would have been $125.00.....(sigh). I just can't see puttin' up 400 clams for the Double Bull that so many say to get, not at this time anyway; they feel pretty strongly about them though. So, I think I'll try this one out you have first.
Thanks again.

one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Ok, this is my opinion on this blind. This is not a two man blind unless the second person sits in the corner uncomfortable. Bowhunting from this blind is best done shooting from your knees. Persons with a drawlenght over 30" might touch the backside of the blind. Otherwsie it is perfect for one bowhunter and a tripod for a camera.

They set easy up the animals got accustomed to them quickly and they are quite spacey. tying them down with given rope and pegs is enough for most of our weather situation. Adding a camo net over it is a big advantage adding more broken shadow to the hide.

Using it for rifle it is more than enough comfortable for two people and we used them at some strategic points on game trails to and from water.

For the price I paid I have no complaints if they were 6" higher and wider it would be the best hide ever.

Frederik Cocquyt

One of Us
Picture of Unit5A
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ok, this is my opinion on this blind. This is not a two man blind unless the second person sits in the corner uncomfortable. Bowhunting from this blind is best done shooting from your knees. Persons with a drawlenght over 30" might touch the backside of the blind. Otherwsie it is perfect for one bowhunter and a tripod for a camera.

They set easy up the animals got accustomed to them quickly and they are quite spacey. tying them down with given rope and pegs is enough for most of our weather situation. Adding a camo net over it is a big advantage adding more broken shadow to the hide.

Using it for rifle it is more than enough comfortable for two people and we used them at some strategic points on game trails to and from water.

For the price I paid I have no complaints if they were 6" higher and wider it would be the best hide ever.

Hey, thanks for the review. I'll keep the addition of camo netting in mind as well.

I had received another email coupon from Cabela's ($20 off this time) and went ahead and ordered the larger blind 'bowhuntrrl' suggested above. When I try it out I'll let you guys know what I think about that one.
Take care.

one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
quote:
I had received another email coupon from Cabela's ($20 off this time) and went ahead and ordered the larger blind 'bowhuntrrl' suggested above. When I try it out I'll let you guys know what I think about that one.
Take care.

Good thing about Cabela's, if you don't like it, just return it !!! I think you'll like it though, let me know 5A .

One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:

My drawlength is over 30" so I agree with your accessment. With some animals you can get away with cheating part of the bow out the shooting window. This is analogous to easing the rifle barrel out of the window, slowly and carefully. IME, your drawing arm touching the backside of the blind though it seems insignificant can really mess up a shot. I've found knowing for sure the arrow is clearing the window is absolutely crucial.

The slightly sloped sides of this blind make setting up a tripod easier. You can actually set it up so the camera lense actually protrudes from the blind slightly. I've found this to be more flexible and forgiving than having the tripod set back and camera aiming through a window.

I've found setting these blinds up so that one corner is pointing at the area you will be shooting at is preferable. This way you can keep two windows closed and only partially open the other two. This way two people can sit in opposite rather than adjacent corners. It definitely gives each person more room. Only opening two windows also preserves the "cave" effect and helps hide movement inside the blind. (I've found the very worst thing you can do is open all the windows.) When a shot presents itself the shooter can move to their knees in the center of the blind and shoot through either window.

Hope this helps.