The Accurate Reloading Forums
Left, straight, or right helical

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1021043/m/6341099162

01 October 2020, 01:05
kennedy
Left, straight, or right helical
Hello everyone, I was watching bowhunter tv show. The guy was talking about fletching. He said straight fletch is bad(not in those exact words) so I was wondering what do you prefer? I got left, straight and right helical bitzenburgers. I mainly use straight and right helical when I fletch.
01 October 2020, 10:31
Cougarz
Right or left is your choice. I like right because as it spins it keeps your broadhead or other type of head tight when it hits.

I don't like straight because it doesn't stabilize any broadhead very well, one of the reasons why some folks think they need broadheads with deployable blades. People used to prefer straight when they used the old shoot thru prong rests that didn't have much clearance.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*
02 October 2020, 02:42
df06
Right helical, been shooting that for over 40 years.

NRA Patron member
03 October 2020, 06:50
kennedy
My first fletcher was a straight fletch when I was still wet behind the ears. I shoot right now but I just went ahead and bought the left helical. Oregons now season ended last weekend my son got his buck, his first time bowhunting. I have to admit I was a proud dad. So would left fletch give me different groups? I am fletching 2 arrows in left and right helical to find out.
03 October 2020, 09:13
Cougarz
Depends.....

Test and find out.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*
22 April 2021, 03:34
pointblank
If you shoot a bare shaft from your bow, the arrow will naturally spin either right, or left. There’s no way to know which way, without shooting a bare shaft. Some folks claim fletching should match this natural arrow flight, so as not to upset natural flight. They claim accuracy suffers if fletched opposite. I doubt anyone’s done enough testing to prove it. Some very good archers call BS on this theory, and always fletch right, or left, whatever their preference.
09 July 2021, 00:00
kennedy
Pointblank. I'm fletching up left, straight and right helical and going buy wich groups best. Now here in Eastern Oregon we have to draw a archery deer tag which my son and I both drawn. I'll see how it goes.