New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chrony use
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How far in front of your bow should the Chrony sit? 10 Ft? Thanks for the help. Sur5er

Posts: 210 | Location: Ncal | Registered: 02 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
We usually do 2 or 3 steps back from the chrony.

Then have someone standing behind you to watch the arrow and hight over the chrony to prevent hitting the chrony...

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ten feet here at the local shop. He also has a Hooter-Shooter to tune with. Shot a dozen arrows thru it this afternoon and then on my own.
Depressing, the H-S is eleven feet faster than I am, and had .2fps spread. Nine were identical at 321. I got a hundred arrows thru it by yesterday evening. Strings and cables are stretched-in.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check your manual. I have a Shooting Chrony for my Bladerunner bow

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
about 10-15 feet like the manual says

Posts: 11 | Location: Central California | Registered: 05 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
For archery....any distance you choose....10 to 15 ft. for a firearm.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sur5er
To use a Chrony for archery……You load the bow with and arrow, extend your bowarm as if to shoot with the arrow on the string at brace height (the bow is not drawn). Move toward the chrony until the tip of the arrowhead is about 3 or 4 inches from the front of the chrony. This is plenty of distance from the chrony and the correct distance to measure the maximum speed. Then draw the bow and look down the arrow to sight thru the chrony using the arrow as your sight and shoot. The idea is to make sure the arrow is off the string before it reached the first window of the chrony during the shot. You want to take the arrow speed as soon as the arrow is off the string, but not any sooner. The arrow is off the string about 2 or 3 inches after it passes brace height with your bow arm fully extended. So, 3 or 4 inches is plenty of distance. What you want to avoid is a shooter that draws the bow, then steps up to the chrony with the arrow tip at 2 or 3 inches from the front of the chrony (at full draw), then shoots thru it. In this case the speed will be well below the maximum as this arrow will be on the string, in the chrony and not at full speed. Keep in mind that the arrow is at maximum speed, as soon as it leaves the string. This is when you want the chrony to take the first reading, one to six more inches farther back will not be measurable.

Posts: 157 | Location: Kenosha, WI | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote