THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    Any here build their own traditional bows?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any here build their own traditional bows?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
I built one several years ago out of white oak backed with silk. It blew up on me after about 400 arrows. Thinking of trying again, this time with Oregon vine maple.

This thread by a fellow Oregonian is giving me the jones:

http://www.primitivearcher.com...p/topic,53195.0.html

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Black Lechwe
posted Hide Post
Yes, I do!

Grew up making bows out of any old stick I could find, working my way up eventually to this mulberry longbow. I ended up making it a little too thin so am collecting sinew to add some extra power (I hope).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great trophy head!

Posts: 1066 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Black Lechwe
posted Hide Post
Haha, wasn't shot with the bow I assure you!

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Lechwe, I have made as many bows as I have arrows. I find the latter to be very labor intensive, considering how expendable they are.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Black Lechwe
posted Hide Post
Haha, now that's the truth!

As a teen I had about 15 stick-bows, and one arrow. I decided I needed to chuck some out, so I set up a target, lined up the bows, and using the same arrow, ranked the different bows and chose which ones to keep!

posted Hide Post
I've made a pile of them. Mostly Osage selfbows. Some all wood composite, some sinew backed and some laminated with glass.

They all work if I do my part.

"It's a good day for something"

Posts: 319 | Location: S E Wisconsin | Registered: 15 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Black Lechwe
posted Hide Post
Wow, lovely bows!

Could you give me the lowdown on sinew backing?

posted Hide Post
One of the best reference books on the subject of sinewing a bow (in my opinion) is "Bows and arrows of the Native Americans" by Jim Hamm

http://www.amazon.com/Arrows-N...p-Step/dp/1558211683

You can get a used copy for around 6 or 7 bucks and there is a wealth of information in the book.

To sinew a bow, I use the dried tendons from the rear legs of a deer or elk. You pound them to get off the sheath and them separate and split the tendon into small strings. They are then glued to the back of the bow in layers using hide glue. I usually use two or three layers. After gluing up, the bow is set aside to dry for several weeks to a few months depending in the humidity in the air.

The book explains it much better than I can.

"It's a good day for something"

Posts: 319 | Location: S E Wisconsin | Registered: 15 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Rudy, outstanding! I have read Jim Hamm's book a number of times. Also have the Bowyer's Bible series.

– John Green, author

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Was out looking for dumb grouse thee other day in the Oregon Cascades, and everywhere I turned I saw vine maple staves. We just had a good rain, so I will go back up with shotgun and saw and try to find grouse, staves and maybe some chanterelles.

Cool

– John Green, author